In January Mitchell Marsh opted out of IPL auction. 8 months later, Ashes heroics

first_imgIn January Mitchell Marsh opted out of IPL auction. 8 months later, Ashes heroicsAustralia all-rounder Mitchell Marsh, who picked up his maiden 5-wicket haul in Tests on Friday at The Oval paid the price of a multi-million dollar IPL deal in order to play for his country.advertisement Next India Today Web Desk LondonSeptember 13, 2019UPDATED: September 13, 2019 16:59 IST Mitchell Marsh (5/46) picked maiden five-wicket haul. (Reuters Photo)HIGHLIGHTSMitchell Marsh returned figures of 5/46 during the 5th Ashes TestMarsh had pulled out of the IPL 2018 auction to get a chance to play for Australia againThe last time Marsh played Tests for Australia was during the Boxing Day Test vs India in 2018How much money are you ready to forego in order to play for your country in one of the biggest rivalries in sport? Okay let me rephrase this. How much money would you sacrifice in order to have a ‘slim chance’ at representing your country in one of the biggest rivalries in sport? 1,00,000 INR? 1 million INR? Okay, this might be getting a bit ridiculous. But what if we tell you that Mitchell Marsh let go about 3 million dollars in order to get himself ready to play for Australia in the World Cup and the following Ashes, if and when he got the chance.Marsh skipped last year’s IPL auction to play for the English county Surrey for much less money than what he would have got playing in the biggest cash-rich league in the world, just so he could be fit and ready when the call came to play for Australia. According to senior cricket writer Robert Craddock, Marsh was looking at about 3 million dollars worth in salary if he had not pulled out of the auction. Marsh had earned 1 million dollars playing for Rising Pune Supergiant during the 2016 IPL and with the increased salary cap for a 3-year deal, his salary was only expected to shoot up.Marsh’s fortunes however declined sharply as he couldn’t even play for Surrey due to injury – an upset that also cost him a place in the World Cup 2019 squad. Obviously Marsh was heartbroken after being snubbed from the squad.”That’s the lure of the IPL, the money and playing in India, but I made my decision based on cricket,” Marsh had said at the time when he decided to head to Surrey.advertisement”We’ve got a lot of cricket coming up in England over the next few years and I want to give myself the best opportunity and get used to the conditions (in England in 2019.”But even Marsh wouldn’t have guessed how that opportunity would present itself. After being selected in the Australian squad for the ongoing Ashes series, Marsh had to wait till the 5th Test to get his chance. And what a show it was!Marsh picked up his maiden 5-wicket haul (5/46) during England’s 1st innings at The Oval to setup the match for his side. It was his 1st outing with the Baggy Green after playing against India in the Boxing Day Test and 4th overall. Craddock made a valid argument that Marsh made a $3 million sacrifice to play a single match!”Mitchell Marsh turned his back on about $3million of Indian Premier League money to make this (Test) squad,” Craddock told Fox Sports News.”It’s basically a $3million sacrifice for one Test. Extraordinary really.”As Hardik Pandya recently said: magical things do happen in cricket!Also Read | Ashes 2019: Ricky Ponting surprised with Australia’s decision to bowl 1st at The OvalAlso See:For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted bySaurabh Kumar Tags :Follow Ashes 2019Follow Mitchell Marshlast_img read more

IRISL Coming Back to Europe by End of the Month

first_imgzoom Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines (IRISL) plans to return to Europe before the end of this month, with HDS Lines ready to launch a full container service connecting Iran with Northern Europe and the Mediterranean, Alphaliner said.The loop will see the first calls of Iranian-flagged vessels in Europe since the UN and EU imposed their sanctions against IRISL/HDS in June and July 2010, respectively, forcing HDS to leave the Europe trades in late 2010.The new service is expected to start from Bandar Abbas, with calls initially limited to a fairly small number of North European ports (tentatively Antwerp and Hamburg), before being extended to other ports at a later stage, with ships of up to 6,500 teu to be deployed.IRISL’s return follows the withdrawal of nuclear-related sanctions against Iran. The company did not lose any time in setting up new and restoring old transport routes. Just last week, IRISL established a new shipping route to China.Namely, the arrival of the Iranian containership Perarin to Qinzhou Port on Wednesday marked the official kick off of the first shipping service to link Middle East and Beibu Gulf, Guangxi Beibu Gulf Int. Port Group confirmed to Chinese news agency Xinhua.The ship reportedly delivered 978 containers from countries that form part of the 21st-Century Maritime Silk Road. The new route links the south and southeast China, Singapore, Malaysia, UAE with Bandar Abbas.Iran has already signed several agreements related to transport including the most recent one between IRISL and the French shipping company CMA CGM. Under the deal, the two carriers agreed to cooperate in the field of shipping and logistics, including sharing vessel capacity, setting up joint services in various international routes, exchanging containers and cooperating in terminal and port activities worldwide.World Maritime News Stafflast_img read more