Barca tries to leave Pique controversy behind with Copa

first_imgAlmazan vows to comeback stronger after finals heartbreak A draw at Mestalla Stadium will be enough to put Barcelona in the final and keep it on track to win its fourth consecutive Copa title.It’s not even clear if Pique will play because of an injury sustained after his goal celebration in the 1-1 draw against Espanyol. The veteran defender couldn’t avoid a hard tackle by Espanyol forward Gerard Moreno, who was upset with Pique’s celebration. Pique received a knock to his right knee and was listed as doubtful to make the trip to Valencia.Pique had made comments criticizing Espanyol before Sunday’s league match, and the crowd showed their disapproval by jeering him nearly every time he touched the ball at RCDE Stadium. Pique said some of the fans insulted his family throughout the match.It is not the first time the outspoken Pique has been surrounded by controversy. He is often jeered by fans when Barcelona plays away games because of his pro-Catalonia stance. Last year, after encouraging Catalans to vote in a disputed independence referendum, he was loudly booed by fans in Madrid after joining the Spanish national team at a training camp.Barcelona has faced a hostile environment at Mestalla in the past. In a league match last season, Valencia fans threw objects at Barcelona’s players while they celebrated a goal near the stands.ADVERTISEMENT Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles05:25Convicted mayor links Bilibid doctor to corruption02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Newsome sets focus on helping Bolts open new PBA season on right track OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Pique sparked controversy in a Spanish league match against the city rival last weekend, celebrating his late equalizer by telling the Espanyol crowd to be quiet. He later also criticized the club for losing its links to the city and for having a foreign owner, prompting a wave of criticism.“We are overreacting about this,” Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde said on Wednesday. “This is part of the past. We talked about it before the derby, after the derby, before the Copa game, after the Copa game. … We have to move on.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkPique risks being suspended for his actions, and Barcelona has had to come out and publicly defend the player in the days leading up to the decisive match against Valencia.“Several other players have celebrated the same way. It’s normal after an important goal scored late in the game,” Barcelona president Josep Bartomeu told Spanish media, referring to Pique’s gesture of putting a finger in front of his mouth. “It’s not the first time a player has silenced a stadium.” Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Nonito Donaire vs Naoya Inoue is BWAA 2019 Fight of the Year “It’s going to be an intense match,” Valencia coach Marcelino Garcia Toral said. “We have to play it with our hearts and with our heads. We have to play it with intelligence. If we don’t defend well we will not advance. We have to be humble to know that we are not going to dominate Barcelona for the whole 90 minutes.”Valencia and Barcelona met in the Copa semifinals two years ago, with the Catalan club winning 7-0 at Camp Nou Stadium in the first leg. It then held on to a 1-1 draw at Mestalla with its second-stringers.Since that 7-0 demoralizing defeat, Valencia has lost only three of its six matches against Barcelona, winning 2-1 at Camp Nou in a league game in 2016 and drawing 1-1 at Mestalla earlier this season.Third in the league, 18 points behind leader Barcelona, Valencia is trying to make it to the Copa final for the first time since 2007-08, when it won its seventh title after eliminating Barcelona in the semifinals.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES Michael Porter Jr. stays patient as playing time increases View comments Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Knicks hopes on hold after Kristaps Porzingis tears ACL FC Barcelona’s Gerard Pique, center, celebrates after scoring during the Spanish La Liga soccer match between Espanyol and FC Barcelona at RCDE stadium in Cornella Llobregat, Spain, Sunday, Feb. 4, 2018. (AP Photo/Manu Fernandez)MADRID — After hearing nonstop talk about Gerard Pique and his provocative celebration against Espanyol, Barcelona will be trying to get its focus back on Thursday’s Copa del Rey semifinal.Barcelona plays at Valencia, defending a 1-0 lead from the first leg as it bids to reach its fifth straight Copa final.ADVERTISEMENT Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours MOST READlast_img read more

“Govt not meeting with us” – MovieTowne

first_img…investor blames APNU/AFC for delaysPrivate Sector members with Derek Chin in one of the CinemasMovieTowne proprietor, Derek Chin, said Government has ceased meeting with them as several issues are affecting the smooth completion of their US$45 million project, costing them additional millions in interest charges.The Guyana-born businessman said the multimillion-dollar investment is being plagued by several challenges resulting in additional charges to him and his investors. He made this disclosure on Tuesday morning when several Private Sector bodies had a tour of the facility.Chin said at the initial stage of their investment, they had regular meetings with Government but as time progressed, those meetings became scarce. He noted that those meetings are important since they can be used to iron out issues in relation to concessions among other things.“We have met with Government and I don’t seem to meet with them anymore… to say that Mr Chin how is your investment going, what can we do to help. So that communication link with the Government is very important… the Private Sector is the driver. The Government cannot outrun the Private Sector because it is the Private Sector. It has its own money, but the Private Sector needs to be given that encouragement,” Chin said.Additionally, the businessman said Government should be more involved in discussion with the Private Sector and work hand in hand since they are the ones who are the drivers of the economy.“In Georgetown we need an overseer Minister to follow the progress and say what is going and be able to loosen some of the barriers and allow things to happen faster because people want delivery faster and we have to pay millions of in interest and it is a real burden,” he added.PSC positionMeanwhile, Private Sector Commission Chairman, Eddie Boyer, noted that there are several investments that are ready and waiting for Guyana but the Government needs to understand that they have to work with the Private Sector to realise those developments. He added at this time, the focus should be on the speedy completion of the project since it has overrun several completion dates due to a number of factors.MovieTowne under construction“The problems are minuscule, they are solvable and Government has to get involved to solve some of those problems… when you are doing a project the Government should have a person to fast track and make sure some of these things are done in time because overruns can cost millions of dollars,” he said.ConduitIn an effort to ease the burden on Chin, President of the Georgetown Chambers of Industry and Commerce, Deodat Indar, offered to be a conduit between Government and MovieTowne to assist with the completion of the project.The initial cost of MovieTowne was pegged at US$30 million but has now escalated to US$45 million as a result of several delays. The investment is seen as the largest Private Sector undertaking in recent years and is expected to create several hundred jobs and boosting the economy.The Private Sector Commission (PSC) and the Georgetown Chambers of Industry and Commerce (GCCI) to check on the progress and offer support to Chin ahead of the scheduled August opening planned the tour of the facility.Once completed, MovieTowne Guyana will be outfitted with eight state-of-the-art screens with the total seating capacity of 2100 and equipped with the technology needed for patrons to immerse themselves in the magic of every film. Additionally, there would also be a 60,000-square foot Massy Stores Super Centre along with a series of various cafes, bistros, restaurant and stores. Among the cafes scheduled for the plaza is the famous Hard Rock Café.During the tour, both PSC’s Chairman Boyer, and GCCI’s President Indar reiterated their commitment towards supporting the venture. They noted that it is investments like these that catches the attention of international investors making Guyana a hotspot for development.last_img read more

AC Milan star NOT in talks with Liverpool, insists agent

first_img1 Jeremy Menez is staying put at AC Milan, according to the 28-year-old’s agent.The France international has been linked with a move to Liverpool since the end of last season after hitting 16 Serie A goals for the Rossoneri.Brendan Rodgers has been searching for another forward to add to summer signings Danny Ings and Roberto Firmino at the top of the pitch, and has reportedly registered his interest in the player.However, he will now be forced to look elsewhere, with the former Roma and Paris Saint-Germain man keen to continue his San Siro stay.“An offer from Liverpool? We’ve had no contact with the Reds. Jeremy will definitely stay at Milan,” Kevin Menez, the forward’s brother and agent, told MilanNews. Jeremy Menez last_img