UG on lockdown until Monday

first_img…Police say threats made by mischievous personsThe University of Guyana has postponed all classes for this week after a second bomb threat was directed at the institution on Thursday morning, thus resulting in the administration’s call to protect the lives of students and implement responsive measures.This is the second consecutive day in which anonymous persons issued a threat, resulting in a visit from both the Guyana Fire Service and the Guyana Police Force to conduct a thorough search of the compound.The University on Thursday said that time was needed for response mechanisms to be put in place in case of any emergency and as such, all classes were suspended. On February 11, all activities are scheduled to resume as per normal, the institution in a statement said, adding that the suspension of classes would also enable the institution to assess situations which occurred over the recent days.After Police ranks completed their search, it was noted that there were “no significant threats” and further, that mischievous persons were behind these acts to disrupt the campus.“From our investigations, there is no significant threat; our investigations have revealed so far that students either by themselves or with other persons decided to be mischievous and endeavour to disrupt the existing peace and calm in society and specifically in the education sectors,” the Police stated.They maintained that action has been taken on the part of the Force so far, to respond to the threats and assess the circumstances in which they were made. A meeting was convened on Wednesday evening with Vice Chancellor, Dr Ivelaw Griffith and other senior officials whereby “the situation was assessed and they were advised that the situation arose from mischievous students, either by themselves or other persons”.The public and, most importantly, students were advised that there is no need for “panic or undue concern”.Assurance was given by the Guyana Police Force that the investigation will continue until the suspected individuals are apprehended.Fraudsters warningMeanwhile, with reports that fraudsters have already begun capitalising on the situation, the Education Ministry sent out a firm warning to the public, cautioning them during this time to be alert.Reports are that persons are visiting homes under the pretext of investigating the school threats. Homeowners are advised to make immediate contract with the nearest Police Station and to not allow anyone onto their property.The threats started less than two weeks ago at the School of the Nations and escalated quickly when the Director, Dr Brian O’Toole was shot twice to the arms at his Bel Air Promenade, Georgetown home.Subsequently, students at Queen’s College and The Bishops’ High School began receiving similar threats.The first bomb threat emerged earlier on Wednesday indicating that other persons will be planting explosives at various institutions. The posts were prevalent on Facebook in the name of an unknown individual going by the name of “Ki Ra” saying, “This is not the end.”Parents of students who attend School of the Nations staged a picketing exercise, calling for a swift investigation despite efforts by the institution to beef up security at the entrance with added Police presence.They have even offered a $1 million award for anyone who can provide credible information which could lead to the arrest of the perpetrators.last_img read more