News News Reports Reporter murdered in northwestern Mexico’s Sonora state RSF_en Help by sharing this information August 9, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalist shot and wounded in another case of violence against press in Oaxaca Reporters Without Borders voiced concern today about the ability of journalists to work freely in the southern state of Oaxaca after a shooting attack on 5 August in the city of Salina Cruz on Alberto Fernández Portilla, the director of the Semanario del Istmo local newspaper and producer of a news programme on radio XEKZ. Fernández believes the attack was prompted by coverage of theft and corruption involving the state oil company Pemex. The newspaper’s deputy editor, Daniel Pérez Espinoza, and one of its journalists, Edwin Meneses Santiago, were recently threatened. “Press freedom is in a bad way in Oaxaca,” the organisation said. “Social conflicts gave rise to a great deal of violence there last year, and a US journalist, Bradley Will, was killed during a demonstration. We urge the federal authorities to quickly shed light on the attack on Fernández.”The attack occurred as Fernández arrived at his home in the early hours of 5 August. A gunman got out of a car, pointed his revolver at him and said: “You meddled in my boss’s business so I’m going to kill you.” The assailant then shot Fernández three times, hitting him in the abdomen, left leg and right arm. His children rushed out on hearing the shots and got him to hospital.Fernández told Reporters Without Borders from hospital that he had two theories about who could have been behind the attack. He said he recently received telephone threats after covering corruption cases in which the local head of the Pemex labour union was allegedly involved. He also suspected a group of people who had been stealing oil from the Pemex pipelines.The attack is currently being investigated by the Oaxaca prosecutor’s office that handles cases of violence against journalists, while the police are protecting Fernández and his home. Legislative elections were taking place on the day of the attack but the authorities have ruled out any connection.Will, an American freelance cameraman, was fatally shot on 26 October 2006 in street clashes that broke out during demonstrations by left-wing groups opposed to Oaxaca governor Ulises Ruiz Ortiz. His murder has still not been solved. Misaél Sánchez Sarmiento, a journalist with the regional daily El Tiempo, narrowly survived a shooting attack on 17 June of this year after writing an article about Will’s murder. MexicoAmericas Receive email alerts Organisation NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies Follow the news on Mexico MexicoAmericas May 13, 2021 Find out more News April 28, 2021 Find out more May 5, 2021 Find out more to go further
Google+ 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic The Education Minister has confirmed that Buncrana will not be one of the areas that will see primary school patronage change away from the Catholic Church.It follows surveys of parents in 38 areas by the Department of Education – as part of the drive to provide plurality and choice in the types of primary schools in Ireland.23 of those areas signalled a demand for change – and the Catholic management of each of those schools will now be contacted by the Department – which will ask that they consider options for reconfiguring the schools. Buncrana was one of 15 areas in which insufficient demand was found. Twitter WhatsApp No change to school patronage in Buncrana Facebook WhatsApp By News Highland – April 2, 2013 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter News Pinterest HSE warns of ‘widespread cancellations’ of appointments next week Previous articleFire service tackle gorse-fire near DungloeNext articlePSNI attacked at Derry Easter Commemoration News Highland Google+ Dail to vote later on extending emergency Covid powers PSNI and Gardai urged to investigate Adams’ claims he sheltered on-the-run suspect in Donegal Man arrested in Derry on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences released Pinterest
Tags: Utah State Football September 29, 2020 /Sports News – Local Utah State Football Commences Fall Practices Monday Brad James Written by FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailLOGAN, Utah-Monday, Utah State Football commenced practices as the Aggies prepare for an eight-week Mountain West Conference season which begins October 24.The Aggies are in the midst of their five-day acclimatization period and conducted a two-hour practice Monday.This week’s activities conclude with a Friday scrimmage.The Aggies’ participants consist of 12 returning starters (seven on offense and five on defense) and 41 returning lettermen, including 25 seniors.All fall practices are closed.Ticket information for Utah State home games this season will be announced soon.Based on recommendations from Utah State University, the Utah Department of Health and the Logan-based Bear River Health Department, a limited number of fans will be allowed inside Maverik Stadium.
BAYONNE — The state Civil Service Commission has decided not to reverse the layoffs of three former Bayonne City employees.On Jan.18, Andrew Casais, chief of staff for Mayor James Davis, said in an email: “We have been informed that the CSC affirmed the layoffs, and therefore those subject to the layoffs will not be reinstated. The mayor maintains the opinion that the city administration followed the procedures to effectuate layoffs pursuant to Civil Service rules. At each step the administration sought to see this process out to the end. Today’s final ruling by CSC is that end.”Michael Mulcahy, a housing inspector, Gary Parlatti and Michael Smith, both field representatives for citizen complaints, all worked under the Department of Municipal Services.Mulcahy said in a statement that he plans to appeal the Civil Service Commission’s decision. “While we’re obviously dismayed in the panel’s decision today, we find it difficult to comprehend how a panel who only had a week to review the transcripts that could overturn an Administrative Law Judge decision that was labored over for six months,” said Mulcahy. “We’re confident in our judicial system and look forward to the next step in the process.”A Nov. 2 decision by an administrative law judge in Newark granted an appeal to the former employees who allege their layoffs in June of 2015 were not carried out in good faith.Judge Thomas R. Betancourt’s decision was sent to the Civil Service Commission for a final decision, saying that the “appellants should be restored to their previous positions of employment immediately.”Judge Betancourt previously found the testimonies of Bayonne Business Administrator Joe DeMarco and former Director of Municipal Services Robert Wondolowski “not credible,” after they gave conflicting testimony that showed inconsistencies in the city’s rationale for the layoffs. DeMarco and Wondolowski were two of 17 witnesses who testified. ×
“Later on, he will realize that being a senator is different than being just a follower of the administration,” says Senate President Vicente Sotto III. “On the political side of it,majority against minority, so dapatmajority lagi ang dapat mananalo. Butwe were not able to get the majority vote so meaning, kami na ang minority ngayonsa Senado. Hindi na kami angmajority,” Dela Rosa said. Dela Rosa, along with fellow Duterteallies Christopher “Bong” Go, Imee Marcos, Aquilino“Koko” Pimentel III, Bong Revilla, Francis Tolentino, and CynthiaVillar voted Monday in abstention, while 12 others voted in favor of theresolution. MANILA – Senate President Vicente SottoIII lectured neophyte Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa following the latter’sstatement on the voting of Senate Resolution 337, which seeks Supreme Court’sclarity on the Senate’s role on Visiting Forces Agreement termination. Sotto said that Dela Rosa still needsmore time to learn about the mandate that has been vested upon him as anelected senator, which is different from being a follower of President RodrigoDuterte. After the voting, Dela Rosa made astatement that some of them were feeling like being the “minority” inthe chamber. “Hindi naise-seminar ‘yun,natututunan lang ‘yun. Mas madali nga lang kung ikaw ay nanggaling sa let’ssay sa isang local governmentlegislative body, or nanggaling ka saHouse of Representatives, pagdating saSenate, alam mo na lahat ‘yan. Perosiyempre, pag galing ka sa Executive department, medyo iba ang dating sa iyo,” he further said./PN Sotto said that Dela Rosa’s reactioncould be the normal thinking of any newbie in the institution. “We are all senators, whether we are inthe majority or in the minority, we are an officer or not, pare-pareho kaming mga senators. Tigi-tig-isang boto kami, ganun ‘yun,” he added. “Later on, he will realize that being asenator is different than being just a follower of the administration,”Sotto said. “Minsan kasi, pagka you are a fledgling senator, youwill probably have, you will need more time to get the in’s and out’s.”
Mr. EverythingRivers would rather guard Darren Collison not start. With a healthy Crawford, that’s quite a one-two punch in reserve. But with J.J. Redick having missed so many games with a bulging disc in his back — he has played in only 31 of 77 games and started 30 — Collison has started quite a few games.Either way, he is doing everything Rivers wants.“I prefer him coming off the bench with Jamal,” Rivers said. “Health-wise, I don’t know if we’ll be able to do that or not. Bottom line is, he is ready either way. That’s what he has been all year for us. If there is an All-Star for a utility player, Darren Collison would be that for us. He’s been great.”Collison has played in 75 games, including 34 starts, and averaged 11.4 points and 3.6 assists. Redick has returned after missing two months. He came off the bench in his first game back in Thursday’s loss to Dallas. He did start Sunday’s game, however. Paul gets the businessGuard Chris Paul attended the Dodgers opener against the Giants on Friday with his son. He was wearing Dodgers gear, but that apparently didn’t matter because once it was made known he was there he was booed.“I expected that,” Paul said at Saturday’s practice, apparently knowing in spite of everything this still is more of a Lakers town. “It’s cool.”Rivers was asked what he thought about a Clippers player being booed at Dodger Stadium.“I don’t care, to be honest,” said a smiling Rivers, who said he is a baseball fan. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error “I’m hoping that’s not the case,” he said.Crawford had played in 66 games and recently missed eight of nine games with a strained left calf. He came back and played in five games, but had missed the past three before Sunday.Rivers believes Crawford not playing much near the end of the regular season should not affect him being voted Sixth Man of the Year. He is averaging 18.6 points.“It shouldn’t,” Rivers said. “The only way it would is if people forget about him and if they forget about him, that means you guys aren’t writing about him enough,” Rivers said. “I certainly think he should win it, and I certainly think you guys have to do your job to make sure people don’t forget about him.“I think he’s been great, he’s been fantastic.” LOS ANGELES – Clippers coach Doc Rivers shudders at the thought of guard Jamal Crawford not playing again until the playoffs begin.It just doesn’t bode well for a player to miss so many games down the stretch of the regular season, then expect him to be all he has been with a flip of a switch.“I don’t know, I hope not. But, yeah, it’s looking like that,” Rivers said ahead of Sunday’s game against the Lakers. “I would hate that, personally. I think it’s hard to go into a playoff series and haven’t played in three weeks or whatever.”Rivers conceded there is nothing he can do about it.
Spokane pumped 45 plus shots at Nelson Peewee Rep netminder Brody Fillion en route to a 5-1 Minor Hockey Exhibition action Saturday in Kaslo.The game was played in Kaslo due to the fact that one of the Nelson players, defenceman Elijah Havers lives in the North Kootenay Lake village.Fillion was outstanding between the pipes for Nelson as Spokane dominated the Reps for most of the contest. Taylor Harrison, with assists going to Cody Barnes and Max Spielman, scored the lone goal for Nelson.Nelson was missing forward Aedan Osika from the lineup.The absence of Osika forced coach Jeff Hunt to move defensemen, Nick Haidu to the forward line.The game was the first of the season for defenceman Ben Price, missing the first part of the season due to a leg injury.
0Shares0000Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp at times bemoaned the subdued atmosphere in modern English grounds, even at the mythical Anfield, compared to his grounding in Germany’s Bundesliga © AFP / Lindsey PARNABYLIVERPOOL, United Kingdom, Apr 23 – A confessed admirer of the underdog tales of Robin Hood and Rocky Balboa, Jurgen Klopp is probably uncomfortable with Liverpool’s status as strong favourites in Tuesday’s Champions League semi-final, first leg against Roma.However, it is testament to how far the German has revitalised a sleeping giant on the European stage that Liverpool’s first appearance in the Champions League last four for a decade is met with such expectation. It hasn’t always been a such a smooth ride since Klopp arrived an Anfield two-and-a-half years ago.Indeed, even in the aftermath of a 5-1 quarter-final thrashing of hitherto tournament favourites Manchester City, Klopp warned the clock was ticking on his promise to deliver a trophy within four years of taking charge.Early in his reign Klopp at times bemoaned the subdued atmosphere in modern English grounds, even at the mythical Anfield, compared to his grounding in Germany’s Bundesliga.By contrast, Anfield will be at fever pitch on Tuesday to try and inspire the five-time European champions back to club’s football’s biggest game in the Kiev final on May 26.“The Champions League nights are special for the fans too,” Liverpool’s talisman Mohamed Salah — who has scored an incredible 41 goals in his debut season for the club — told CNN. “You can feel it on the streets.“The atmosphere in that first game against Man City was the first time I had really seen something like that.”Premier League champions City’s evisceration by a three-goal blitz in 19 first-half minutes was just another chapter in a long history of famous European nights at Anfield.“The Liverpool fans, they all believe ‘this is our competition’,” recognised City boss Pep Guardiola afterwards.But it came on the back of a rallying cry by Klopp for his players not to be intimidated by Liverpool’s history in the competition, but to make memories they too will be remembered for.– A mirror image of their manager –Liverpool’s high-energy style that even City couldn’t cope with is a mirror image of their manager on the touchline.“If something is important to me, I cannot hide my feelings. When I’m happy everyone can see and it’s the same when I’m angry,” Klopp told The Big Interview podcast.However, Klopp’s revival of Liverpool has come from far more than rabble rousing.His fluid 4-3-3 system has brought the best out of a prolific front three of Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino, who have combined for 83 goals this season.“I think Jurgen is a master to buy players with what he really needs for the way he wants to play,” said Guardiola, who has suffered more defeats in his career to Klopp than any other manager.Most impressively of all, Klopp’s management has also ensured that Liverpool’s flurry of goals hasn’t dried up despite losing Philippe Coutinho to Barcelona for £142 million ($199 million) in January and not buying a natural replacement.Instead just over half of that fee was spent on Virgil Van Dijk to bolster a defence that often let Klopp down in his first two years in England.Since the £75 million Dutchman was recruited, Liverpool have conceded just once in four European outings.Klopp has also learned from his own mistakes. The intensity of his demands left Liverpool drained in the second-half of last season after a promising start to the campaign.This season no manager has rotated more than Klopp in the Premier League with the payoff that his side remain the sole English representatives in the last four.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
The Chandra X-Ray Observatory found more heat at the center of the Milky Way than astronomers can explain. Astronomers observed a tiny angle around the Milky Way’s center for 170 hours. After subtracting out known sources, a diffuse gas cloud remains that is radiating X-rays at 100 million degrees. Star counts capable of heating the gas are short by an order of magnitude; “There is no known class of objects that could account for such a large number of high-energy X-ray sources at the Galactic center,” said a co-author of the study released this week. Furthermore, what sustains the cloud is a mystery. Known gravitational sources are insufficient to hold onto this gas, which should have escaped by now. “The escape time would be about 10,000 years, a small fraction of the 10-billion-year lifetime of the Galaxy,” states the press release. “ This implies that the gas would have to be continually regenerated and heated.” But three suggestions for maintaining this gas at such a high temperature all have problems. Space.Com added, “A paper will describe the study in the Sept. 20, 2004 issue of the Astrophysical Journal. Maybe by then somebody will figure out what it means.”Since this is a work in progress, any judgments on tentative interpretations would be premature. It’s good to discern, however, attempts to force uncooperative data into preconceived notions about time scales and evolutionary theories. That fault is endemic in the biological sciences.(Visited 6 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0