Thousands of firms neglect audits

first_img Previous Article Next Article Related posts:No related photos. Just 0.002 per cent of the thousands of companies trade union Amicus askedto undertake an equal pay audit have actually done so. The union wrote to more than 9,000 companies in December 2001, asking them tocheck men and women’s pay rates. Just 1 per cent agreed to do so, and it wasrevealed last week that since then, only two per cent of these have completedan audit. Gail Cartmail, Amicus national secretary for equalities, said the figuresshow that employers will not undertake equal pay audits unless they are forcedto do so. “This shows that the voluntary approach advocated by government andemployers’ organisations doesn’t work,” she said. “The only way is tomake pay audits compulsory.” The union also wants men to strike if employers do not pay their femalecounterparts an equal wage. It has asked male union members to sign an equal pay charter which supportsstrike action if employers refuse to conduct equal pay audits to uncover whereand how pay gaps appear. Amicus claims the only reason a company would refuse to carry out an equalpay audit is to conceal discrimination against women in the workplace. Last week, a report by the Equal Opportunities Commission revealed that only18 per cent of large employers and 10 per cent of medium-sized employers haveactually conducted a pay review, or are in the process of doing one. The majority (54 per cent of large and 67 per cent of medium-sizedemployers), do not plan to carry out a pay review at all. Comments are closed. Thousands of firms neglect auditsOn 1 Apr 2003 in Personnel Todaylast_img read more

Video: What tricks are in store for a Halloween Game 6?

first_imgThe Dodgers and Astros are coming off one of the craziest World Series games ever played. What will they do for an encore on Halloween night?Jonathan Khamis recaps a wild Game 5 and previews Game 6, where the Dodgers face Houston ace Justin Verlander.Video by Jonathan Khamis, for the Southern California News Group. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img

Reno’s new boys poised to invigorate the club

first_imgWESTERN BUREAU:Red Stripe Premier League club FC Reno has been busy during the January transfer window, and Dean Malloy, the club’s manager, believes the new recruits have already started to make an impact.Six players were brought and two left, and Malloy is confident they will help pull the club up the standings and finish the season on a high.”We have been doing some business and, so far, we are happy with the players we have brought in,” Malloy said.”Two players have left the club, including central midfielder Leonard Rankine, who joined Western Confederation Super League club Sandals Whitehouse.Joining the former three-time champions are two attacking players in Anthony Markes, formerly of Harbour View FC, and Taj Coley, who played for Appleton in the St Elizabeth Major League.It’s in attack that FC Reno are mostly bereft of talent, so with the addition of Markes and Coley, they should at least be converting more chances.FRESH SQUAD”These players have freshened up the squad, and the team is beginning to look the part once again,” Malloy said.On Sunday, while none of the new recruits got onto the score sheet, FC Reno posted a hard-working 2-0 win over Cavalier SC at the Frome Sports Complex.Romario Downswell and Dershan Bryan scored in the seventh and 91st minutes, respectively, to give Reno their first win in five matches.Sunday’s win comes on the heels of another decent performance, as they played to a draw in their previous outing and are looking a lot more settled.”We are hoping that the new players will add some impetus and help steer the club away from relegation,” said Malloy.”It is fair to say that we are charting a new way forward, and all the players in our squad will have a role to play in moving the club forward,” he added.last_img read more

Donegal must be a priority in broadband scheme roll-out – Cope

first_imgDeputy Pat the Cope Gallagher has called on the Government and the Department of Communications to give priority to the border counties including Donegal during the broadband roll-out.He said these are areas which are within or between existing fibre areas and rural areas that are urgently requiring broadband services.Over 32,000 households and premises are without high speed Broadband at present in Co Donegal, and the Department estimates the costs of connecting these premises at €128 million. Deputy Gallagher said what is most concerning is that it is projected to take 7 years to complete this plan as currently proposed added Pat the Cope.He said “It is essential that rural areas are given priority, and especially in the context of the looming threat of Brexit, and the massive pressure border areas will be under with the ongoing uncertainty.“I am calling on the Government to immediately put in place a comprehensive schedule of works, so that each area will know exactly when they are to be connected to the national broadband network.“This plan has the potential to solve all over fibre broadband needs and current problems, but unless it is properly managed it will drag on and areas will be left waiting for years before they actually get connected.” He added that border counties will be under serious pressure in the coming years with the ongoing Brexit uncertainty , that will directly impact business, employers and the broader community, it is therefore imperative that our competitiveness and business & employment supports are fully in place, and nowadays high speed Broadband is critical piece of such infrastructure.He said “Donegal needs to be actively and positively discriminated towards, this will involve the Donegal voice been heard at Government level, this needs for Donegal to be put first on the list – priority status, today as the plan is launched nearly every county is mentioned bar Donegal, even though it got the fourth highest level of premises awaiting connection for broadband.“Plans alone will not deliver broadband to Donegal on time, what is needed in this instance is a real commitment to make areas in Donegal the priority they deserve , that priority status needs to be underpinned by the Government, otherwise areas in Donegal could potentially be left without broadband for up to another 7 years.”Donegal must be a priority in broadband scheme roll-out – Cope was last modified: November 20th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:broadbandPat the Copepriorityroll-outlast_img read more

GDP growth beats expectations

first_img24 February 2010South Africa’s gross domestic product (GDP) grew by 3.2% in the fourth quarter of 2009, exceeding market expectations. Together with economic growth of 0.9% in the third quarter, it signals that the country is out of its first recession in 17 years.Contributing to the GDP figure, released by Statistics South Africa this week, was growth in the manufacturing sector (contributing 1.5 percentage points), general government services (1 percentage point) and construction.Sectors that contributed negatively included wholesale, retail, motor trade, accommodation and agriculture.Market expectations were that the economy would grow by 2.5% quarter-on-quarter.Beating market expectationsNedbank economist Carmen Altenkirch said: “It beat market expectations with manufacturing rising by 10.1 percent quarter on quarter. In contrast, domestic retail trade is lagging in the recovery because households are remaining cautious.”Altenkirch added that the economy would gain momentum, with GDP accelerating in the first, second and third quarter of 2010.Standard Bank economist Danelee van Dyk described the data as “encouraging”, but warned that this would not translate into massive job creation. “One should not be too optimistic that the figures will infuse new life into the labour market, the recovery is still tentative,” she said, though adding that there would be employment growth in some sectors.“It is not all doom and gloom, but it is not an absolute booster of employment,” Van Dyk told BuaNews. She said 2010 would be the foundation year for the consolidation of the economy, adding that income growth would gain momentum in 2011.Economy ‘remains vulnerable’The South African Chamber of Commerce and Industry (SACCI) welcomed the improvement in figures, saying it had been its opinion that the recovery would be led by the manufacturing sector.“This also reinforces the Department of Trade and Industry’s focus on manufacturing in its Industrial Policy Action Plan that was recently released for comment. However, the economy still remains vulnerable,” the chamber said.Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

Winnie Madikizela-Mandela’s true legacy: a free and prosperous South Africa

first_imgJohannesburg, Monday 09 April 2018 – Following her passing at age 81 in a Johannesburg hospital on Easter Sunday, Brand South Africa highlights the important role that heroine of freedom, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, played in helping South Africa transition peacefully from apartheid to a stable democracy in 1994. Madikizela-Mandela’s courage to speak her truth and dedicate her life towards fulfilling a vision of an equitable, prosperous, better future for South Africa is what made her a truly powerful icon of freedom. A true patriot, Madikizela-Mandela faced untold hardships during the apartheid years, yet she confronted each with an inner strength and fortitude. It is her courage and bravery as well as fearless commitment to fulfilling the dream of economic and political freedom which will remain her ultimate legacy. “Her spirit, her passion…her courage, her wilfulness: I felt all of these things the moment I saw her,” said former South African President Nelson Mandela of the woman he would later marry.Her dedication to the resistance movement meant she had to push many of her personal goals aside. The first black professional social worker in South Africa, Madikizela-Mandela had been married to Mandela for just a few years, when he was sentenced to life in prison in 1962. Like many black women of her generation, she was forced to become a single mother to her two small daughters and was thrust into the limelight as a ‘political widow’. “We were hardly a year together when history deprived me of you,” she wrote in a letter to Mandela while he was in prison in 1970, published in her autobiography 491 Days, Prisoner Number 1323/69. Madikizela-Mandela took up the challenge of continuing to resist the racism and sexism that defined her generation with a maturity beyond her years.  It was thanks largely to her, that international attention remained focused on the story of Nelson Mandela and the fight against Apartheid while he served out his prison sentence. “Your formidable shadow which eclipsed me left me naked and exposed to the bitter world of a young ‘political widow’. I knew this was a crown of thorns for me but I also knew I said, ‘I Do’ for better or worse. In marrying you I was marrying the struggle of my people,” she wrote to Mandela in 1977, in a letter also published in her autobiography. It was when she was arrested by the apartheid police and taken away from her two daughters, then aged just nine and ten years old, that she was forced to bear the true weight of personal sacrifice for her people. She spent 491 days in detention, much of this in solitary confinement under unimaginably brutal conditions.  Two trials later, she was finally released. “She refused to be bowed by the imprisonment of her husband, the perpetual harassment of her family by security forces, detentions, bannings and banishment. Her courageous defiance was deeply inspirational to me, and to generations of activists,” noted Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Nobel laureate after her passing. Former deputy chief justice Dikgang Moseneke, once part of the legal team who defended Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, said she had an “incredible ability to be able to take on injustice and soak up pain in a way that is not immediately describable.” Madikizela-Mandela traded what could have been a simple life of motherhood and marriage for an active political life.  Instead, she became fondly known as the “Mother of the Nation”, serving as a mentor and mother to many of South Africa’s young activists, including Fikile Mbalula, current chair of the ANC’s subcommittee on elections and Malusi Gigaba, now Minister of Home Affairs, both of whom who lived with Madikizela-Mandela as young members of the party’s Youth League. “Mam’ Winnie lost her innocence because of a struggle she actually didn’t choose, the struggle entrusted upon her by the husband she chose and the people she identified with – the vulnerable people who were discriminated because of apartheid,” said Sello Hatang, CEO of the Nelson Mandela Foundation in tribute to her. Actress Terry Pheto who played Madikizela-Mandela in the BET drama Madiba, said she grew up looking up to Winnie, because her mother did as well.  “I was very aware of her journey, her struggles and her fights. Because of that, it was important for me to see this role as I’ve always seen her; an important and necessary figure in our time,” Pheto said in an interview in 2017 with HuffPost. Although separated for 27 years while Mandela was in prison, the couple communicated through a series of emotion-filled hand-written letters. In one, also published in 491 Days she wrote: “As you say, our goal is [a] free Africa, my love I have never had any doubts about that.”  It was this vision that inspired the couple to dedicate their lives to fulfilling their dream of a free South Africa. Madikizela-Mandela came to represent the hopes and dreams of millions of oppressed South Africans. “Let us draw inspiration from the struggles that she fought and the dream of a better society to which she dedicated her life,” said South African President Cyril Ramaphosa in tribute to Madikizela-Mandela. As South Africa mourns the loss of a brave, courageous leader. We also celebrate her sacrifices and achievements over a lifetime of dedicated service to and making the dream of a free and prosperous South Africa a reality. Brand South Africa’s CEO Dr Kingsley Makhubela, who lived with Madikizela-Mandela after her husband Nelson Mandela’s release from prison expressed his sadness saying “It is truly with great sadness to have lost the Mother of the Nation. We are forever grateful for the role she played in securing our freedom. We indeed need to celebrate her legacy.”Hamba Kahle Mama. Please contact Tsabeng Nthite on +27 76 371 6810 if you would like to interview any of the following people about Winnie Madikizela-Mandela: Brand SA CEO, Dr Kingsley MakhubelaFikile Mbalula, Chair of the ANC’s subcommittee on electionsMalusi Gigaba, Minister of Home AffairsSello Hatang, CEO of Nelson Mandela FoundationDikgang Moseneke, Former Deputy Chief Justice, Terry Pheto, Actress who played Winnie Madikizela-Mandelalast_img read more