Migrants Crisis: More Migrants Arrive In Sicily

first_img220 rescued migrants arrive at Catania Some 220 migrants who were rescued at sea off the coast of Libya have arrived at the Sicilian port of Catania. The Italian coast guard said the migrants were travelling on two rubber boats, carrying 115 and 105 people respectively, and were rescued some 40 nautical miles from the Libyan coast.The group, which was said to include 50 women, were taken to the port on an Italian naval ship just before midnight.Public outrage over the death of up to 900 migrants last Sunday when their boat sank on its way to Europe from Libya has led EU governments to reverse last year’s decision to scale down search and rescue operations in the Mediterranean. Related Italy Migrants Crisis: Thousands of Migrants Hope To Get Into Europe  The plight of African migrantslast_img read more

UFC postpones next three events after virus clampdown

first_img Promoted ContentFantastic-Looking (and Probably Delicious) Bread ArtThe Highest Paid Football Players In The World12 Stars You Would Never Recognize Without Their Signature LookA Guy Turns Gray Walls And Simple Bricks Into Works Of Art10 Albino Animals Who Look Like GhostsCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way10 Stargazing Locations To ‘Connect With Nature’Why Go Veg? 7 Reasons To Do This6 Most Breathtaking Bridges In The WorldWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?7 Universities In The World With The Highest Market ValueInsane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street Art “But every day, there are new restrictions put in place on travel and large public gatherings that are making it impossible to stay on schedule.” Read Also: IOC set for crisis talks as fears grow for Tokyo Olympics The UFC has also been prevented from holding events in its Las Vegas home because of a ban on combat sports by Nevada state officials which runs until at least March 25. “I’ve been in the fight game for 20 years, and this is what we do – we find a way to keep our events going no matter what,” White said. “But this is different. The whole world is being affected right now, and nothing is more important than the health and safety of you and your families.” The UFC is also closing all offices with immediate effect and asking employees to work from home. Loading… The Ultimate Fighting Championship said Monday it is postponing its next three events with officials unable to find venues to stage bouts amid global restrictions being put in place to combat the coronavirus pandemic. The UFC is postponing three upcoming fight cards after restrictions put in place to curb the spread of the new coronavirus UFC president Dana White, who had previously defended the circuit’s decision to press ahead with a card in Brazil on Saturday, confirmed the news in a message to employees later posted on Twitter. The decision affects fight cards in London on March 21, Columbus on March 28 and Portland on April 11. The move comes as authorities around the world impose restrictions of gatherings of large numbers of people. “We did everything we could to relocate our next three events, London, Columbus, and Portland,” White told employees in his email.Advertisement FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 last_img read more

Classic aces set for showdown

first_img Press Association The Andre Fabre-trained colt was added to the field for the Group One for three-year-olds at the confirmation stage, for which 15 are listed. Make Believe showed he was one of Europe’s leading milers when beating his stablemate New Bay in the French 2000 Guineas at Longchamp last month, form well advertised since. Make Believe, winner of the Poule d’Essai des Poulains, is set to take on dual Guineas victor Gleneagles at Royal Ascot after he was supplemented for Tuesday’s St James’s Palace Stakes. Richard Hannon has left in Ivawood, who finished third behind Gleneagles in both Newmarket and Curragh Classics, and Estidhkaar, who disappointed on the Rowley Mile. Also in the mix are Aktabantay, Bossy Guest, Dutch Connection, Latharnach and Consort. Trained by Sir Michael Stoute, the lightly-raced Consort took his unbeaten record to two when impressing in the Heron Stakes at Sandown on the Brigadier Gerard card late last month. The Highclere Thoroughbred Racing-owned grey was adding to a maiden win from Newmarket in September. Immediate options after Sandown surrounded the St James’s Palace or the Tercentenary Stakes, and connections have opted to take the Group One plunge. Highclere tweeted: “Consort given green light to run in the St James’s Palace at Royal meeting after pleasing in a piece of work.” Consort has been ridden by Ryan Moore in both of his outings to date, but with the former champion riding Gleneagles, Frankie Dettori comes in for the mount. Highclere added: “With Ryan on Gleneagles Frankie Dettori has been booked to ride Consort in the St James’s Palace.” Already a mover in the market, the Lope De Vega colt was cut to 8-1 from 10-1 by William Hill. Spokesman Jon Ivan-Duke said: “Consort is clearly a talented horse and punters have faith despite his lack of experience.” “The decision was made a bit easier with New Bay winning the French Derby. That franked the form, although it was over a different distance,” said Ted Voute, bloodstock advisor for owner Prince Faisal. “Immediately after the race in France, Andre mooted that maybe we would do that and he was happy with him. “I called him this morning and he said he’d supplemented him. It’s great and something to look forward to.” Fabre is also represented by Territories, who chased home Gleneagles at Newmarket. As well as Make Believe, Prince Faisal retains an interest in Belardo with Godolphin buying into last season’s champion two-year-old. However, Belardo is unlikely to take his chance unless the ground eases considerably. “He’s ground dependent and unless the weather forecast is terribly wrong I suspect he won’t run. The ground needs to be at least good to soft for him to run,” said Voute. As well as Gleneagles, Aidan O’Brien has four other possibles in French Derby runner-up Highland Reel, Sir Isaac Newton, The Happy Prince and War Envoy. last_img read more

State Department suspends employee allegedly member of white supremacist group

first_imgThe State Department suspended an employee of its energy bureau for alleged ties to a white supremacist group.According to Politico, Matthew Gebert, a foreign affairs officer for the department’s Bureau of Energy Resources, has been an active member of a white supremacist group for more than five years.Gebert has been linked to the Washington D.C.-area chapter of white supremacy.A report published Wednesday by the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks hate speech, also linked Gerbert to racist propaganda published online.The group cited a post from Gebert where he allegedly called for white people to establish “a country of our own with nukes, and we will retake this thing lickety-split.”The State Department has not spoken out about the matter at this time.last_img