The Central Bank of Liberia (CBL) has lauded the newly licensed GN Bank Liberia Limited (a subsidiary of Ghanaian conglomerate Groupe Nduom) for taking over the First International Bank Liberia Limited (FiBank). In remarks Thursday in Monrovia at the official launch of GN Bank Liberia Limited, the Executive Governor of the CBL, Milton Weeks, said the presence of GN Bank in the country marked another milestone in Liberia’s banking sector.Governor Weeks said that milestone was made possible through collaborative efforts between the Central Bank of Liberia and the Ghana Growth Fund Company (GGFC), which is part of the Groupe Nduom family.He explained that GN Bank Liberia Limited is a subsidiary of GGFC with US$18.5 million already pumped into Liberia’s economy, which is a clear indication that the company has confidence in Liberia. “GGFC has previously proved itself as a committed partner in the development of Africa through investment by the group’s presence in a number of African countries,” Governor Weeks said. “GGFC has already shown its commitment through the successful taking over of the Liberia Enterprise Development Finance and Cooperation in 2013.”Mr. Weeks noted that the infusion of US$18.5 million into the economy not only demonstrates GN Bank’s confidence in Liberia, but shows its readiness to join the government’s reconstruction efforts in the banking sector.He indicated that the funds are more than adequate to meet the capital requirement of operating a banking institution in the country, as defined by the Central Bank of Liberia.“Thus, it is sufficient enough to protect the entire bank’s many depositors in the country,” Governor Weeks said.He assured depositors of the former FiBank (now GN Bank Liberia Limited) and the general public that their deposits are fully secure and safe.Meanwhile, Governor Weeks called on those who are indebted to the former FIBank through loans to make repayments to GN Bank, because the bank (GN Bank) has already purchased those loans from the FiBank.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
C.V. remained within six points in the girls’ meet at the midway point, but the departure of Yumi So and Sara Sun – who left to attend club practice – proved too much for the Falcons (3-1) to overcome. In their individual events, So captured the 200 IM and 100 butterfly and Sun doubled in the 50 and 200 freestyles. So nearly rallied from a two-second deficit on the anchor leg of the 200 free relay, but Molly Rogers held on for Hart (2-0), which won in 1 minute, 48.25 seconds. “How often do you get to swim (in a dual meet) against two girls who have Olympic Trials times,” Neale said. “It was a great opportunity for our girls.” Jordan Danny, Maggie Hanson, Rachael Krager and Molly Rogers all won events for the Indians and teamed for a victory in the 200 medley relay (1:54.53). Hart swept all three relays, unofficially timed at 3:51.06 in the 400 free relay. “I wish I could’ve been here for (that relay),” Sun said before her departure. “That would’ve been exciting to swim against them.” firstname.lastname@example.org (818) 713-3607 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Hart won nine events in the boys’ meet to hand Crescenta Valley only its fifth dual-meet loss since 1992. The Indians recorded a 102-68 nonleague victory, snapping a streak of four consecutive losses against the Falcons (3-1). Despite four C.V. wins in the first five events in the girls’ meet, Hart had plenty of depth in the back half of the competition, sweeping the final six races to prevail 101-69. “This is a great meet, especially because C.V. always has super competition,” said Hart coach Steve Neale, whose boys hadn’t defeated the Falcons since a 115-55 triumph March 7, 2002. “We haven’t been winning (against C.V.) the last half-decade. You can tell by the way the teams are cheering for each other that this means a lot.” The past four seasons, the Falcons had the edge in experience in the boys’ competition. But with four standouts from last year’s team deciding not to swim this season, coach Jan Sakonju has had to build around young talent like Zach Taylor (200-yard freestyle) and Vinh Doan (100 freestyle), who won C.V.’s lone events. “The younger kids have really stepped up,” Sakonju said. “And I’ll have all those guys (on the relays) together for the next three years.” Sophomore Chris Weber (100 breaststroke, 200 individual medley) and freshman Konrad Antoniuk (100 butterfly, 500 freestyle) each won two events for Hart (2-0), which won the last five races after the Falcons cut the deficit to 53-41. LA CRESCENTA – About the only thing that didn’t go right for the Hart of Newhall swim program Thursday was a missed chance to get a Southern Section Div. II automatic qualifying time in the girls’ 400-yard freestyle relay when the back-up timer didn’t record the mark. That was the only opportunity the Indians didn’t capitalize on against host Crescenta Valley of La Crescenta.
PICO RIVERA – Sheriff’s investigators are investigating a car-to-car shooting that critically wounded one man and triggered a crash that killed a woman and injured her adult daughter, officials said. The 67-year-old woman was at the wheel of a maroon minivan when it was struck by a black SUV whose driver lost control after he was shot in the upper body, said Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputy Maribel Rizo. Marlene Johnson of Pico Rivera died at Beverly Hospital in Montebello, said Capt. Ed Winter of the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office. Her 47-year-old daughter Patricia, who was a passenger in the minivan, was hospitalized, according to media reports. She sustained minor to moderate injuries, Rizo said. According to deputies, members of two rival gangs were driving in separate cars traveling north on San Gabriel Place when the shooting broke out at around 7:30 p.m. Tuesday. The driver of a black SUV, a 24-year-old Pico Rivera man, was critically wounded in the shooting. He was listed Wednesday as “death-imminent,” Rizo said. His name was not released. Four men in the other vehicle fled after the shooting, Rizo said. Their dark-colored Toyota struck a vehicle that had stopped at a stop sign. The Toyota then turned onto Berner Street and vanished, Rizo said. Johnson’s son, John, told Channel 4 that his mother was driving in front of the apartment building that she managed. “When they turned around, they heard the shots and they seen the cars coming, and the one car \ shooting at the SUV, I guess, and all of a sudden `boom,”‘ Johnson said, referring to the vehicle collision that killed his mother and injured his sister. “She’s just kind of like messed up, you know – everything happening in front of her eyes,” Johnson said of his sister. “She’s got bruises, cuts … scrapes. I hope they find them and send them up for murder, because that’s basically what it is.” 165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
David Vince with the BC Conservation Office in Fort St. John confirms that they received video of a March 31st incident.In it, it shows a vac truck, with the company’s name clearly seen, being cleaned near Mile 143 of the Alaska Highway.Vince isn’t able to name the operation, but confirms it is being investigated for other incidents.- Advertisement -He says the allegations date back to January of this year, however, no charges have yet been laid.
0Shares0000The result means Spurs stay fifth but move within three points of Liverpool, while West Ham go 15th and two points above the drop zone.LONDON, United Kingdom, Jan 4 – Spurs missed the chance to close the gap on the top four in the Premier League after playing to a 1-1 draw at West Ham.After the home side had dominated the opening 70 minutes, it was the Hammers who took a shock lead through Pedro Obiang. A venomous strike from the midfielder caught Hugo Lloris off guard and flew into the top left corner. Just as it looked like the visitors would land a crucial blow on their rivals, Heung-Min Son hit back with a similarly brilliant strike, beating Adrian from 25 yards to equalise with six minutes left.The result means Spurs stay fifth but move within three points of Liverpool, while West Ham go 15th and two points above the drop zone.More to follow…0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
The omens certainly aren’t good for those hoping for a large turn-out for the Children’s Referendum across Donegal.Donegal’s islanders went to the polls first as usual.And on Inishboffin just 3 out of a total of 64 people entitled to vote had cast their ballot. Ballot boxes on islands off Donegal were due to return to the mainland last night after polls closed at 7.30pm on Arranmore.Almost 800 people were eligible to vote, including on the smaller islands of Gola, Inishbofin, Inishfree and Tory where polling stations were open for four hours.Only a third of those eligible to cast their vote on Tory had done so by closing time. VERY POOR ISLAND TURN-OUT SUGGESTS VOTER APATHY ACROSS DONEGAL was last modified: November 9th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Children’s Referendumdonegalislands
The save helped Anderson earn his third shutout in seven career starts, good for a .429 shutouts per game average that ranks first in the MVC this season. DES MOINES, Iowa — Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Luke Anderson has been tabbed as the Missouri Valley Conference’s Defensive Player of the Week following a string of stingy play between the posts. The Wayzata, Minn., native recorded three saves against the Braves, none bigger than his penalty kick rejection in the 73rd minute. “We are delighted for Luke to be recognized as he turned in some great performances this last week,” said Drake head coach Gareth Smith. “He has made crucial saves at key moments in these past three games, especially the PK save against Bradley on Saturday. This recognition is well deserved.” The Bulldogs will aim for their fourth-consecutive shutout at Valparaiso on Wednesday, Sept. 25 at 7:30 p.m. Print Friendly Version Bradley’s Gerit Wintermeyer, who co-led the MVC in points a season ago, stepped to the spot and challenged Anderson low and to the keeper’s right, but Anderson left his line and just the right moment and punched the shot out of harm’s way before being swarmed by celebrating teammates. This is Anderson’s first MVC weekly honor of his career. Anderson has been a fixture in net as the Bulldogs have recorded three-straight clean sheets and three-straight victories, most recently with a 1-0 win over Bradley in the team’s conference opener.
A CO Donegal priest who has worked to help Irish emigrants in America for the past three decades is to get Ireland’s highest honour, it was announced today.Fr Brendan McBride hit the headlines earlier this year when he comforted the families of those killed and injured in the Berkeley balcony collapse.But the San Francisco-based priest has been helping emigrants for years and is the founder of the Irish Immigration and Pastoral Centre. The Portnoo native has been named by the Department of Foreign Affairs as one of the 10 recipients of this year’s ‘Presidential Distinguished Service Awards’.Foreign Affairs Minister Charlie Flanagan said Fr Brendan is being honoured for “his life’s work to serving the Irish community through advocacy and the provision of support services”.He is also being recognised for his leading efforts in the US’s immigration reform policy.Minister Flanagan also remarked on the “central role” Fr Brendan played in providing support to those involved in the accident in Berkeley earlier this summer. He travelled to the three hospitals where the survivors were treated and provided support for their devastated families and friends.All ten are being honoured for how they served Ireland with “distinction” and for the way they “actively contributed to Ireland in a sustained manner”.The other recipients include actor Gabriel Byrne, British human rights solicitor Gareth Pierce, well-known businessman Tom Moran, Peruvian writer Mario Vargas Llosa and Irish missionary Sr Miriam Duggan. BIG-HEARTED DONEGAL PRIEST TO RECEIVE PRESIDENTIAL HONOUR was last modified: August 31st, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:emigrantsFather brendan McbrideHonour PresidentialPresidential Distinguished Service Awards
John O’Donnell is going back to Lifford after topping the Milford poll in the 2019 Local Elections.The Kilmacrennan man, with 1,959 first preference votes, is the first county councillor to be elected to the new Donegal County Council.John O’Donnell and team celebrate his election to Donegal County Council 2019‘The people have spoken’ is the mantra of O’Donnell today as he returns to county council just months after the Standards in Public Office found against him over ethics breaches. Cllr John O’Donnell elected on the first count to Milford EA. #le19 https://t.co/s55X27dkAw pic.twitter.com/s6S5P2LZTt— Donegal Daily (@DonegalDaily) May 26, 2019Controversy surrounds O’Donnell after he featured in an RTE Investigates report in 2015.He was filmed in a meeting with an undercover reporter who was pretending to seek support for a local windfarm development. In a ruling this March, SIPO found that O’Donnell made it clear that a financial reward would be required for his involvement in the project.O’Donnell celebrated his resounding victory in the Milford count with supporters at the Aura this afternoon, where cheers filled the centre when the results were announced. He will be followed by Liam Blaney (Fianna Fáil) at 1,761 first preference votes, who will continue the proud family tradition in the area.The battle is on for the third seat in Milford, where Ian McGarvey (IND), Maria Doherty (SF), Noel McBride (FG) and Eimer Friel (FG) are all in contention.First Preference Vote Count for Milford: Liam Blaney: 1761Maria Doherty: 752Eimer Friel: 725 Dermot Hardy: 338Noel McBride: 748Ian McGarvey: 805Charlie McGinley: 63 Declan Meehan: 677John O’ Donnell: 1959Local Elections 2019: John O’Donnell tops the poll in Milford was last modified: May 26th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
QPR manager Mark Hughes believes Clint Hill’s recent performances have justified the decision not to allow any of his 25-man squad out on loan. Leeds United were linked with Hill after the appointment of Neil Warnock as boss, and the defender’s first-team chances at Loftus Road looked slim.But Hughes made it clear none of the 25 would leave and he has since recalled Hill to the side.The 33-year-old, who played under Warnock at Rangers and Crystal Palace, has responded with solid displays at left-back and as a central defender.And Hughes said: “We’ve been in a situation where if maybe we haven’t performed defensively as we wanted to, we need to look at our options.“Clint’s been very much in my mind, he’s in the 25, and he’s player I knew I could call upon if I needed to.“So I’m very reluctant to send people out on loan once they’re in the 25. My priority really is to get the others out on loan.”The Liverpool-born Hill discussed a move to Leeds before Warnock persuaded him to stay in the south and join him at QPR in 2010.His R’s contract expires at the end of the season, when he is expected to be released.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook