In January Mitchell Marsh opted out of IPL auction. 8 months later, Ashes heroicsAustralia all-rounder Mitchell Marsh, who picked up his maiden 5-wicket haul in Tests on Friday at The Oval paid the price of a multi-million dollar IPL deal in order to play for his country.advertisement Next India Today Web Desk LondonSeptember 13, 2019UPDATED: September 13, 2019 16:59 IST Mitchell Marsh (5/46) picked maiden five-wicket haul. (Reuters Photo)HIGHLIGHTSMitchell Marsh returned figures of 5/46 during the 5th Ashes TestMarsh had pulled out of the IPL 2018 auction to get a chance to play for Australia againThe last time Marsh played Tests for Australia was during the Boxing Day Test vs India in 2018How much money are you ready to forego in order to play for your country in one of the biggest rivalries in sport? Okay let me rephrase this. How much money would you sacrifice in order to have a ‘slim chance’ at representing your country in one of the biggest rivalries in sport? 1,00,000 INR? 1 million INR? Okay, this might be getting a bit ridiculous. But what if we tell you that Mitchell Marsh let go about 3 million dollars in order to get himself ready to play for Australia in the World Cup and the following Ashes, if and when he got the chance.Marsh skipped last year’s IPL auction to play for the English county Surrey for much less money than what he would have got playing in the biggest cash-rich league in the world, just so he could be fit and ready when the call came to play for Australia. According to senior cricket writer Robert Craddock, Marsh was looking at about 3 million dollars worth in salary if he had not pulled out of the auction. Marsh had earned 1 million dollars playing for Rising Pune Supergiant during the 2016 IPL and with the increased salary cap for a 3-year deal, his salary was only expected to shoot up.Marsh’s fortunes however declined sharply as he couldn’t even play for Surrey due to injury – an upset that also cost him a place in the World Cup 2019 squad. Obviously Marsh was heartbroken after being snubbed from the squad.”That’s the lure of the IPL, the money and playing in India, but I made my decision based on cricket,” Marsh had said at the time when he decided to head to Surrey.advertisement”We’ve got a lot of cricket coming up in England over the next few years and I want to give myself the best opportunity and get used to the conditions (in England in 2019.”But even Marsh wouldn’t have guessed how that opportunity would present itself. After being selected in the Australian squad for the ongoing Ashes series, Marsh had to wait till the 5th Test to get his chance. And what a show it was!Marsh picked up his maiden 5-wicket haul (5/46) during England’s 1st innings at The Oval to setup the match for his side. It was his 1st outing with the Baggy Green after playing against India in the Boxing Day Test and 4th overall. Craddock made a valid argument that Marsh made a $3 million sacrifice to play a single match!”Mitchell Marsh turned his back on about $3million of Indian Premier League money to make this (Test) squad,” Craddock told Fox Sports News.”It’s basically a $3million sacrifice for one Test. Extraordinary really.”As Hardik Pandya recently said: magical things do happen in cricket!Also Read | Ashes 2019: Ricky Ponting surprised with Australia’s decision to bowl 1st at The OvalAlso See:For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted bySaurabh Kumar Tags :Follow Ashes 2019Follow Mitchell Marsh
Des membres de la communauté des affaires de la Nouvelle-Écosse reviennent tout juste d’une mission commerciale internationale en Louisiane avec des possibilités d’affaires intéressantes. La mission a été organisée par le Conseil de développement économique de la Nouvelle-Écosse (CDÉNÉ), avec l’appui de l’Office des affaires acadiennes du gouvernement de la Nouvelle-Écosse. Le CDÉNÉ est un organisme axé sur le développement économique au sein de la communauté acadienne et francophone de la Nouvelle-Écosse. « Nous avons établi plusieurs contacts intéressants qui feront l’objet d’un suivi au cours des prochaines semaines et des prochains mois », a déclaré un des participants au salon commercial, Edgar Samson de Premium Seafoods Limited. « Ce voyage nous a permis de constater les affaires potentielles qui peuvent être effectuées dans le sud des États-Unis et ailleurs. » La mission commerciale Expo Acadie a réuni plus de 80 participants, dont 23 étaient des provinces de l’Atlantique. Environ un tiers de ces 23 participants était de la Nouvelle-Écosse. Les entreprises représentaient les industries de la construction et de l’environnement, de l’agroalimentaire, des arts et de l’artisanat, et de la technologie de l’information. « La province de la Nouvelle-Écosse organise des échanges culturels et des missions commerciales avec la Louisiane depuis les 20 dernières années en raison de leurs liens historiques et culturels étroits », a affirmé la directrice générale de l’Office des affaires acadiennes, Vaughne Madden, qui s’est rendue en Louisiane pour participer au salon commercial. Pendant son séjour, Mme Madden a rencontré des représentants officiels afin d’offrir le soutien continu de la Nouvelle-Écosse aux efforts de reconstruction de l’État suite aux ouragans. Cette année, l’exposition a eu lieu en même temps que le Festival international de Louisiane à Lafayette, où un pavillon acadien a donné une plus grande visibilité à certaines entreprises néo-écossaises qui ont choisi de participer à l’exposition. Environ 300 000 personnes ont participé à ce festival annuel. « Nous allons continuer à contribuer à l’établissement de partenariats entre l’Acadie du nord et l’Acadie du sud », a souligné la directrice générale du CDÉNÉ, Julie Oliver. Des plans sont déjà en cours pour la troisième Expo Acadie, qui aura lieu en Nouvelle-Écosse en 2008.
In one of the reported incidents last year a US soldier in Afghanistan had killed at least 16 civilians and wounded five after entering their homes in Kandahar province. However he noted most countries are overlooking the abuses committed by the US and yet making allegations against countries like Sri Lanka. He says if the government is not at fault if the public in Sri Lanka fail to identify the efforts of the government.The allegations against the United States comes after the US formally submitted the draft resolution on Sri Lanka to the UN Human Rights Council currently meeting in Geneva.The resolution was submitted last afternoon (Friday), Geneva time, after the document was initially circulated among Council members. The Sri Lankan government has accused the United States of committing human rights abuses.Government Minister Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena says there were reports that the US had killed civilians during its military operations in Afghanistan. Yapa says the Sri Lankan government will not be shaken by such allegations and will instead continue with its policies for the country.Among the most noted policies of the government, the Minister noted, is the free education and free health system. The resolution notes the UN High Commissioner for Human Right’s call for an independent and credible international investigation into alleged violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law in Sri LankaIt also expressing concern at the alleged continuing reports of violations of human rights in Sri Lanka, including enforced disappearances, extra-judicial killings, torture,violations of the rights to freedom of expression, association and peaceful assembly,as well as intimidation of and reprisals against human rights defenders, members of civil society and journalists, and threats to judicial independence and the rule of law. (Colombo Gazette) The draft resolution titled ‘Promoting Reconciliation and Accountability in Sri Lanka’ is still open for amendments before it is discussed at the Council and debated on.