Jovic: I wanted to be a winner like my sister

first_imgReal Madrid striker Luka Jovic says he was inspired to chase his dream of becoming a successful footballer after seeing his sister overcome leukemia.The 21-year-old grew up in a small town called Batar before he joined Serbian giants Red Star Belgrade, sending him on a path to Benfica and Eintracht Frankfurt before he made a €70 million (£62m/$79m) move to Madrid in the current transfer window.But the Serbia international revealed that his journey has not all been easy, as his sister was diagnosed a life-threatening illness just over a decade ago. Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? Seeing her emerge victorious from that battle only encouraged Jovic to give his all in football, as he says he wanted to be “a winner” as well.”I don’t talk about this a lot, but when I was nine or 10 years old, my older sister got really sick. And this was the moment that marked our lives,” he told The Players’ Tribune.”The doctors found out that she had leukemia, and she was in and out of the hospital for a long time. My mum had to stop managing the supermarket to look after her. For a whole year, our family was split up. I was living with my dad and my grandpa, going to and from training sessions at Red Star Belgrade, while my mum stayed with my sister. “It was a very difficult time. What I most remember is the feeling when I went home from Belgrade to Batar after a game. “One day, while he was giving me a ride home from training, my dad stopped and picked up my uncle and my cousin. I didn’t know what was happening at first, but then I realised we were having a big celebration. “We went home and I remember my sister was wearing this paper hat, like it was her birthday. They told us that she was cured. And it was just an amazing feeling, knowing that she was going to be O.K., because we had been very scared for a long time.”When my sister beat her illness, it gave me a fire to succeed. I wanted to be a winner like her.”last_img read more

Ashes: Stuart Broad sends Jofra Archer warning to Steve Smith ahead of return in Manchester

first_img India Today Web Desk ManchesterSeptember 3, 2019UPDATED: September 3, 2019 13:07 IST Ashes 2019: Jofra Archer vs Steve Smith all set to resume in Manchester (Reuters Photo)HIGHLIGHTSSteve Smith set for return after missing 3rd Test Smith was hit on his neck by a Jofra Archer bouncerStuart Broad expects another fiery battle between Smith and Archer in ManchesterEngland fast bowler Stuart Broad said he is looking forward to another “tasty” battle between Steve Smith and Jofra Archer in the 4th Ashes Test, starting September 4 in Manchester.Stuart Broad expects no let up from highly-rated Jofra Archer and that the England fast bowler will be buzzing in captain Joe Root’s ears to get the ball whenever Steve Smith walks into bat at Old Trafford.The England pace spearhead’s comments come after Steve Smith was added in the 12-man squad for the 4th Ashes Test. With the series level at 1-1, Smith’s return is being seen as a massive boost to Australia and Broad’s comments has certainly added spice to the ongoing series.Notably, Steve Smith had to miss the 3rd Test in Headingley due to a delayed concussion after a Jofra Archer bouncer struck him on the neck. Smith needed medical attention but he carried with his first innings only to be ruled out of the 2nd innings.In Steve Smith’s absence, England went on to win the 3rd Test by 1 run after Ben Stokes helped the hosts complete a miraculous chase of 359 runs.”It was a really tasty bit of cricket at Lord’s. Smith was on 80, playing beautifully, and Jofra went from 84mph to 95mph. He was really charging in,” Stuart Broad said on the eve of the 4th Test.He added: “That sort of cricket is awesome to watch on the telly or from the stands but when you’re stood at mid-on, it’s pretty special. Hopefully we can have a battle like that again.”advertisementFeels like doctors are running out every 10 overs: Stuart BroadStuart Broad himself had been on the receiving end of a vicious bouncer from Varun Aaron in 2014. The England star suffered a broken nose and revealed he had nightmares after the blow to his face.Broad’s ability to play bouncers diminished after the blow but the England pacer expects no such psychological effects of the Jofra Archer’s bouncer on Steve Smith.”Smith has got a bit more skill than me with the bat so it probably won’t affect him. I don’t think I’ve ever played in a series where so many people have been hit in the head. It feels like the doctors are running out every 10 overs, doesn’t it? But that’s part of Test cricket,” Broad added.Australia have dropped Usman Khawaja to accommodate Marnus Labuschagne who shone after coming in as Test cricket’s first-ever concussion substitute in Leeds.Mitchell Starc, who missed the first 3 Tests, has also been added to the 12-man squad after the left-arm pacer’s impressive outing in the recently-concluded tour match against Derbyshire in Manchester.Also Read | Jasprit Bumrah, Ishant Sharma and Mohammed Shami make India pace unit peerless in Test cricketAlso Read | India vs West Indies: Can feel for batsmen who face Jasprit Bumrah, says Virat KohliAlso Read | Dressing room feels calm when Hanuma Vihari is batting: Virat KohliAlso See:For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAkshay Ramesh Tags :Follow Jofra ArcherFollow Steve SmithFollow Ashes 2019Follow Stuart BroadFollow England VS AustraliaFollow ManchesterFollow Varun Aaron Ashes: Stuart Broad sends Jofra Archer warning to Steve Smith ahead of return in ManchesterAshes 2019, England vs Australia: Steve Smith, who has recovered from concussion after blow to head from Jofra Archer bouncer, is all set to make the playing XI for the 4th Test, starting September 4 in Manchester.advertisement Nextlast_img read more

Nova Scotia Breast Screening Program Celebrates 20 Years

first_imgMore Nova Scotia women are benefitting from early cancer detection because of the Nova Scotia Breast Screening Program, which celebrates its 20th anniversary today, Oct. 14. “The single most effective way to detect breast cancer early is to be screened regularly,” said Paula English, chief of program standards and quality, Department of Health and Wellness. “The Nova Scotia Breast Screening Program makes it easier for every woman in the province who should be screened to have regular mammograms easily and conveniently.” The program opened its first fixed site at the Halifax Shopping Centre in 1991. Today, there are 11 sites and a mobile service, providing access to breast screening for women in all parts of the province. It has screened 177,617 women, performed nearly 720,000 mammograms, and detected more than 3,000 cases of breast cancer since its beginning. The program was one of the first in Canada to switch to digital screening. It was also the first to eliminate opportunistic screening (screening asymptomatic women in a diagnostic setting), leaving the diagnostic facilities free for those who need it. Dr. Judy Caines, medical director for the Nova Scotia Breast Screening Program, introduced the stereotactic needle core biopsy in 1991, a procedure to assess whether an abnormality detected on a mammogram requires surgery. Nova Scotia now has the lowest benign breast surgery numbers in the country. Dr. Caines said the Nova Scotia Breast Screening Program is seeing 67.6 per cent of Nova Scotians who should be getting routine mammograms and she would like to see that rate increase. “We are seeing many women, but there are more women out there who should be screened. Every Nova Scotian woman over the age of 40 should visit the program. With nearly 18 Nova Scotian women in 1,000 showing signs of breast cancer, it’s important to detect it early and begin treatment as soon as possible.” Nova Scotians can call 1-800-565-0548 or visit www.breastscreening.nshealth.ca to book an appointment for a screening in their area.last_img read more