ESPN Releases Prediction For Penn State vs. Kent State

first_imgJames Franklin high fives his players as they come off the field.PASADENA, CA – JANUARY 02: Penn State Nittany Lions head coach James Franklin reacts on the sideline during the first half against the USC Trojans during the 2017 Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual at the Rose Bowl on January 2, 2017 in Pasadena, California. (Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)Penn State vs. Kent State is part of this Saturday’s afternoon slate. The Nittany Lions are looking to advanced to 3-0, while the Golden Flashes sit at 1-1 under new head coach Sean Lewis.PSU bounced back nicely from a near-loss to Appalachian State to open the year, blowing out rival Pitt on the road last weekend, 51-6.Kent State, one of the worst teams in college football last year, nearly picked off another Big Ten opponent in Week 1, falling at Illinois 31-24. Last week, it blew out Howard.ESPN’s FPI prediction for Penn State vs. Kent State is out.As you’d expect, Penn State is a heavy favorite against the Golden Flashes. FPI gives the Nittany Lions a 99.3-percent chance to win.Via ESPN:ESPN's FPI prediction for Penn State vs. Kent State.Penn State vs. Kent State will kick off at 12 p.m. ET on Saturday from Beaver Stadium in University Park, Pa.FS1 will broadcast the contest.[ESPN]last_img read more

More Sri Lankans return from Australia

“People who pay smugglers to risk their lives on a dangerous sea journey are throwing their money away – there is no visa awaiting them, no speedy outcome, no special treatment,” he said.“Regular transfers to Nauru and more Sri Lankans returning home is further proof that people smugglers only sell lies and make false promises about what awaits people in Australia.“This Government is determined to break the people smuggling trade and stop people getting on those dangerous boats.” People in immigration detention can request their removal from Australia at any point in time. Those who choose to depart voluntarily can be provided with individual reintegration support to assist with their sustainable return, through the International Organization for Migration.Reintegration packages are determined on a case-by-case basis depending on need and eligibility. “These individuals have chosen not to pursue asylum claims and therefore are no longer seeking to engage Australia’s protection obligations,” Mr Bowen said. “The majority of this group were in the post-13 August cohort and faced transfer to a regional processing centre in Nauru or Papua New Guinea – they have instead chosen to return home voluntarily.”Mr Bowen said two more transfers of boat arrivals to Nauru were completed this week and more would follow in the coming days and weeks. Bowen said the Sri Lankans were removed on a charter flight from Christmas Island to Colombo today that departed at 8.15am local time (11.15am AEST). The group of Sri Lankan men included two from Nauru, 20 from Christmas Island and six from mainland facilities including Villawood and Yongah Hill. The Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Chris Bowen MP, today announced that another group of Sri Lankan men were returning home voluntarily after choosing not to pursue their asylum claims, the Australian High Commission in Colombo said.The group of 28 men consists of people who arrived both before and after new regional processing arrangements were announced on 13 August, and came out of detention facilities on Nauru, Christmas Island and the mainland. read more

Lanka accuses US of HR abuses

In one of the reported incidents last year a US soldier in Afghanistan had killed at least 16 civilians and wounded five after entering their homes in Kandahar province. However he noted most countries are overlooking the abuses committed by the US and yet making allegations against countries like Sri Lanka. He says if the government is not at fault if the public in Sri Lanka fail to identify the efforts of the government.The allegations against the United States comes after the US formally submitted the draft resolution on Sri Lanka to the UN Human Rights Council currently meeting in Geneva.The resolution was submitted last afternoon (Friday), Geneva time, after the document was initially circulated among Council members. The Sri Lankan government has accused the United States of committing human rights abuses.Government Minister Lakshman Yapa Abeywardena says there were reports that the US had killed civilians during its military operations in Afghanistan. Yapa says the Sri Lankan government will not be shaken by such allegations and will instead continue with its policies for the country.Among the most noted policies of the government, the Minister noted, is the free education and free health system. The resolution notes the UN High Commissioner for Human Right’s call for an independent and credible international investigation into alleged violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law in Sri LankaIt also expressing concern at the alleged continuing reports of violations of human rights in Sri Lanka, including enforced disappearances, extra-judicial killings, torture,violations of the rights to freedom of expression, association and peaceful assembly,as well as intimidation of and reprisals against human rights defenders, members of civil society and journalists, and threats to judicial independence and the rule of law. (Colombo Gazette) The draft resolution titled ‘Promoting Reconciliation and Accountability in Sri Lanka’ is still open for amendments before it is discussed at the Council and debated on. read more