United boss Ferguson ‘considering shock bid for Chelsea star’

first_imgSir Alex Ferguson is seriously considering making a shock bid to take Ashley Cole to Manchester United, according to The People.It is claimed the Old Trafford boss is desperate to sign a left-back and has made enquires about the 31-year-old England star.There has been speculation about Cole’s future given that he is now in the final year of his Chelsea contract.The Sunday Express report Fulham’s apparent interest in Chelsea’s Yossi Benayoun and Arsenal’s Andrey Arshavin.Meanwhile, Moussa Dembele is Tottenham’s top target to replace Luka Modric, the Sunday Mirror say.With Modric looking set to leave White Hart Lane, Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is said to be aiming to sign Dembele for around £10m.It is suggested that Fulham would ask for £15m but Spurs are banking on the 25-year-old pushing for a switch across London. This page is regularly updated.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Cathay’s growing A350 network heads Downunder

first_imgImage: Cathay Pacific. Cathay Pacific will add Melbourne to its growing Airbus A350 network when it brings its newest aircraft type Downunder from February 1.The use of the A350-900, outfitted with enhanced cabin product as well as wireless internet access, is part of a push by Cathay to increase capacity to Australia’s second biggest city by 15.7 per cent.The airline has been flying the new aircraft in South-East Asia and recently began services to London’s Gatwick Airport and Dusseldorf, in Germany. Other destinations already announced include Auckland, Vancouver, Paris and Rome. The new plane will operate one of Cathay’s three daily flights to Melbourne and will be joined on March 1 by the airline’s popular Boeing 777-300ER on a second daily flight. The bigger B777, which will operate as the daily CX178 flight, boosts the availability of premium seating with 40 seats in business and 32 in premium economy.The two aircraft replace smaller Airbus A330s and bring the number of weekly seats into and out of Melbourne to 12,914.The A350 will be deployed on the daily CX104 flight, which currently departs Melbourne at 1420 and arrives into Hong Kong at 2150, as well as return  CX105 flight. New features on the aircraft include new premium economy seats, high resolution touch video screens, better economy seats and well-designed enhancements to business class.htttp://www.airlineratings.com/news/788/cathay-pacifics-new-a350-a-winner-for-passengers-Like its composite competitor, the Boeing 787, the A350 has higher cabin pressure and greater humidity to make passengers feel fresher after long flights.Cathay Pacific general manager Southwest Pacific Nelson Chin said Cathay had grown its Melbourne operation to 21 flights a week over the 40 years it had been operating to the city. “It is really exciting to be introducing the Airbus A350 into Melbourne,’’ Chin said in a statement. “I know people are going to love the quieter, more comfortable inflight experience with larger windows, new seats and a spacious aesthetically-pleasing cabin with LED mood lighting. The introduction of the Boeing 777-300ER onto CX178, which departs daily at 2330, not only adds more business, premium economy and economy class seats, but it also provides better payload which will help facilitate cargo uplift.’’Cathay currently operates 74 passenger flights a week between Hong Kong and Australia, with over 23 years of continuous services to all six major Australian cities – Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Cairns, Adelaide, and Perth.last_img read more

Brand South Africa invites stakeholders to contribute to insights on the South African Nation Brand

first_imgJohannesburg, Monday 17 August 2015 – Brand South Africa will engage with various stakeholders from Gauteng in a workshop on Wednesday 19 August.• Download press releaseThe workshop seeks to unpack the ways in which the province can contribute to the country’s competitive advantage. The stakeholders include decision makers from government, media, civil society and business. The purpose of the workshop is to discuss reputational and competitive advantages as well as challenges in the province.The workshop will introduce participants to Brand South Africa’s programmes – the South African Competitiveness Forum and the Nation Brand Master Class. The Nation Brand Master Class seeks to train and equip marketers as well as communicators with the necessary skills to profile the South African Nation Brand. The South African Competitiveness Forum is a platform where Brand South Africa unpacks how to improve competitiveness.Media are invited to participate in robust discussions at the session which will include a South African Competitiveness Forum Focus group, followed by a Nation Brand Masterclass.Media are invited to attend as follows:Date: 19 August 2015Time: 08h00 -17h00Venue: Gauteng Investment Centre (GIC), The Place, 1 Sandton Drive, Cnr Sandton & Alice LaneRSVP: Please confirm your attendance with Boitumelo Mpete at boitumelom@brandsouthafrica.comProgramme• Download programmeAbout the South African Competitiveness Forum and Nation Brand Master ClassThis session will not only provide the participants with the knowledge and tools required to shape messages and images to position South Africa, but also allow for provincial experts to provide input into the country’s overall competitiveness and reputation management strategy.The outcomes of the engagements with stakeholders equips Brand South Africa with the necessary information to assess South Africa’s reputational and competitive advantages and challenges in order to share these finding with key decision makers in government and in business.last_img read more

BSF hands over Pak national to Rangers

first_imgThe BSF today repatriated an elderly Pakistani national who was arrested after inadvertently crossing over to the Indian side.The Pakistani national had crossed the International Border in Arnia sector on Thursday, a BSF officer said.He was handed over to Pakistani Rangers at a Border Outpost along the IB in Jammu district today.“A Pakistani national was handed over to Pak Rangers at Pittal BoP along IB By BSF troops at 0930 hours today,” the officer said.During preliminary investigation, he had revealed his name as Shahnabaz, a resident of Mankot village in Sialkot district of Pakistan.“The individual is quite weak and seems to have inadvertently crossed into Indian side,” he said.last_img

Rafael Nadal into French Open last 16 on 10th anniversary of Soderling shock

first_imgNadal maintained his record of never having lost in the first week in Paris, although he withdrew injured before the third round in 2016.He powered 38 winners past Goffin on Court Philippe Chatrier to set up a last-16 clash with either Argentinian Juan Ignacio Londero or home hope Corentin Moutet.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“David is a very good player. I started the match at a good level,” said Nadal. “After, in the third set, he played very well. I’m very happy to reach the last 16.”Goffin looked totally outclassed in the first two sets, but claimed his first-ever set against Nadal on clay, and the first the Spaniard had dropped at Roland Garros since last year’s quarter-final win against Diego Schwartzman. LATEST STORIES Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport View comments ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP Spain’s Rafael Nadal celebrates winning his third round match of the French Open tennis tournament against Belgium’s David Goffin in four sets, 6-1, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3, at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris, Friday, May 31, 2019. (AP Photo/Michel Euler)Reigning champion Rafael Nadal survived a blip to continue his bid for a record-extending 12th French Open title on Friday with a four-set third-round win over David Goffin, ten years to the day since his shock 2009 exit to Robin Soderling.The 17-time Grand Slam winner bounced back after an excellent third set from Belgian 27th seed Goffin to win 6-1, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 and take his incredible Roland Garros win-loss record to 89-2 — those two defeats coming against Soderling in the last 16 a decade ago and against Novak Djokovic in 2015.ADVERTISEMENT Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too But Nadal refocused and clinched victory in the fourth set when Goffin fired a backhand wide after a single break of serve in game four.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice PLAY LIST 01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war Kevin Durant still out for Game 2 of NBA Finalslast_img read more