Ram 3500 heavyduty pickup finally gets EPA certification postshutdown

first_img More about 2019 Ram 1500 Tradesman 4×2 Quad Cab 6’4″ Box 2019 Ram Heavy Duty has all the torque 99 Photos 0 2020 BMW M340i review: A dash of M makes everything better Trucks Diesel Cars More From Roadshow Ram Share your voice Post a comment Review • 2020 Hyundai Palisade review: Posh enough to make Genesis jealous 2020 Kia Telluride review: Kia’s new SUV has big style and bigger value Ram Tags Preview • Enlarge ImageThis thing could probably tow the US Capitol building. Ram The government shutdown extended its dead hand to the automotive industry when the Environmental Protection Agency had to stop certifying new cars for sale in the US. Ram was halfway through the process with its new heavy-duty truck when the shutdown happened, but the automaker is back in action now.Ram announced this week that the EPA finally certified the 2019 Ram 3500 heavy-duty pickup for sale in the US, including both gasoline and diesel variants. It had already received certification for the 2500 prior to the shutdown. “FCA US is grateful to the US Environmental Protection Agency for expediting this process,” the company said in a statement.There’s still a ways to go before the trucks actually land at dealers, though. The 2019 Ram Heavy Duty lineup is slated to launch in the second quarter, so there’s no need to brave a polar vortex to pick one up (at least I hope). In the middle of the shutdown, Automotive News reported that even though Ford and GM had certifications in the queue, neither was concerned, given how long it would be until those models were actually offered for sale. Ram seemed to be in the worst spot, but now that everything has cleared up, it appears to be smooth sailing for the auto industry once more.The 2019 Ram Heavy Duty lineup launched at the 2019 Detroit Auto Show. Boasting a mind-warping 1,000 pound-feet of torque when equipped with its 6.7-liter Cummins diesel I6, it’s the first heavy-duty truck to break the four-digit torque barrier. It’ll tow up to 35,100 pounds and haul up to 7,680 in the bed. Yowza.last_img read more

23 bn IdeaVodafone merger gets conditional goahead from exchanges

first_imgREUTERS/Shailesh AndradeThe Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) and its exchanges have given their conditional approval to the merger between Kumar Mangalam Birla-owned Idea Cellular and Vodafone India. It will be subject to the regulator’s ongoing probe and approvals from public shareholders and the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT), a PTI report said on Tuesday.Vodafone India and Idea Cellular had announced the merger of their operations in March this year to create the country’s largest mobile phone operator worth more than $23 billion with a 35 per cent market share.The $23-billion merger deal would be subject to the outcome of an ongoing probe by the regulator and approvals from public shareholders and National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLT). The multi-layered deal was announced in March and recently got clearance from the fair trade regulator Competition Commission of India (CCI).In their no-objection letters on “draft composite scheme of amalgamation and arrangement among Vodafone Mobile Services, Vodafone India and Idea Cellular and their respective shareholders and creditors”, BSE and NSE said that all the conditions put forth by the regulator need to be placed before NCLT while seeking its approval.The regulator said Idea has given a voluntary undertaking to Sebi that it will not dispose of shares that were purchased by one of its promoters before the merger announcement, till further directions from Sebi.In its detailed comments on the draft scheme, Sebi said it had received a complaint alleging that one of the promoters of Idea Cellular had purchased 0.23 per cent shares of the company before the announcement of the draft scheme of amalgamation and these transactions by the purchasers were in violation of securities laws, PTI reported on Tuesday.Sebi has also received complaints about alleged violation of takeover norms as the shareholding of Idea would increase from about 21 per cent to about 26 per cent pursuant to the scheme.”The said allegations are being examined by Sebi,” the report said, quoting the regulator.Idea has also submitted a voluntary undertaking stating that it will comply with the directions of Sebi in respect of the ongoing examination. It has also undertaken that any liability eventually held to be valid against it shall be borne by Idea, PTI said in its report.”The acquisition pursuant to draft scheme of arrangement is exempt from the obligation to make an open offer…if the acquisition is pursuant to a scheme of arrangement, inter- alia, including amalgamation, merger or demerger, pursuant to an order of a court or a competent authority under any law or regulation, Indian or foreign. Thus, the said exemption is applicable only if NCLT approves the draft scheme,” Sebi said.The regulator further said an ‘abridged prospectus’ about the deal will need to contain a risk factor (at number 1) detailing the risks associated with the outcome of the examination by Sebi of the allegations in the complaint. The company will need to ensure that the scheme clearly provides for voting by public shareholders and that the scheme of arrangement is acted upon only if the votes cast by the public shareholders in favour of the proposal are more than the number of votes cast against it.The explanatory statement to the notice to shareholders need to disclose prominently that Sebi is examining the allegations with regard to transactions done by the purchasers in the shares of Idea before the announcement of the scheme.”All the above facts shall be brought to the notice of NCLT,” Sebi said.last_img read more

Zika outbreak in Miami prompts travel warning

first_img<< Previous PostNext Post >> Tags: Florida, Miami, Travel Alert, Zika MIAMI — In a highly unusual travel warning, health officials advised pregnant women to avoid a part of Miami where mosquitoes are apparently transmitting Zika directly to humans.Health officials last Friday announced that mosquitoes have apparently started spreading Zika on the U.S. mainland, citing four cases they strongly believe were caused by bites. Ten more cases were announced Monday, even though Florida authorities have yet to find any mosquitoes actually carrying the virus.Of the 14 people infected, two are women and 12 are men. Eight patients showed symptoms of Zika, which can include fever, rash, joint pain and red eyes. The others had no symptoms. The disease is often so mild that most people don’t know they are infected.All 14 cases are thought to have occurred in Miami’s Wynwood arts district, a trendy, fast-gentrifying neighbourhood of warehouses, art galleries, restaurants and boutiques.Rosemary LeBranch was doing laundry in Wynwood when health officials came to her house a few days ago and took urine samples from her, her daughter and her father. Her father, Gabriel Jean, tested positive for Zika, she said Monday.He had already spoken with a doctor and was advised to wear long shirts and pants outdoors.“He said nothing hurts; he doesn’t have any pain. He doesn’t feel anything,” she said.More than 1,650 cases of Zika have been reported in U.S. states. Nearly all have been the result of travel to a Zika-stricken country or sex with someone who was infected abroad, but now more than a dozen people have been infected in the U.S.Florida health officials said they have tested more than 200 people in Miami-Dade and Broward counties since early July. An emergency response team from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will help Florida authorities investigate the outbreak, collect samples and control mosquitoes.More news:  Beep, beep! Transat hits the streets with Cubamania truckScott asked for a CDC emergency team to help Florida combat Zika, which has been sweeping Latin America and the Caribbean in recent months and now may be gaining a long-dreaded foothold in the U.S. The White House said a team will be sent quickly.“We will continue to keep our residents and visitors safe utilizing constant surveillance and aggressive strategies, such as increased mosquito spraying, that have allowed our state to fight similar viruses,” Florida Gov. Rick Scott said in a statement Monday.Government health officials warned pregnant women Monday to avoid the Zika-stricken part of Miami and told couples who have been there recently to put off having children for at least two months, after the number of people feared infected through mosquito bites in the U.S. climbed to 14.The CDC also said expectant mothers should get tested for the virus if they have visited the neighbourhood since mid-June.Jordan Davison and Melissa Felix work for a cruise line and were enjoying their day off Monday looking at Wynwood’s spray-painted murals.“It’s not like a big thing, right?” the 25-year-old Davidson said. “It’s kind of freaky. There’s so much going on we didn’t know, didn’t really think about it. … I might wear bug spray going forward.”CDC officials said they could not remember another time in the 70-year history of the disease-fighting agency when it told members of the public not to travel someplace in the U.S.Zika infections in pregnant women can cause severe brain-related birth defects, including extremely small skulls. The global outbreak has led to more than 1,800 serious defects.More news:  Hotel charges Bollywood star $8.50 for two bananas and the Internet has thoughtsThe virus can linger in the blood and urine for weeks and has been found in sperm for months. As a result, the CDC said men and women who have recently been in the affected area should wait at least eight weeks before trying to conceive a child. And men who have had symptoms of Zika should wait at least six months, the CDC said.The travel warning covers an area of about one square mile in Wynwood to the east of Interstate 95 and south of I-195. It’s large enough, health officials said, to provide a buffer around the suspected hot zone. The tropical mosquito that spreads Zika travels less than 200 yards in its lifetime.Dr. Peter Hotez, a tropical medicine expert at the Baylor College of Medicine in Texas, said the CDC should be more cautious and expand the travel advisory to all of Miami-Dade County.“If you’re pregnant or think you might be pregnant, avoid travel to Miami, and possibly elsewhere in South Florida,” he said. “I’m guessing most women who are pregnant are doing that. I don’t think they’re sitting around waiting for the CDC to split hairs and fine-tune it to a specific area.”CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden said the narrowly drawn warning was dictated by science and not by any concern for Florida’s crucial tourism industry. He said it was based on the nation’s ability to contain previous outbreaks of other diseases carried by the same mosquito.“There wouldn’t be a technical or scientific basis to give a broader recommendation,” Frieden said. Tuesday, August 2, 2016 By: Kelli Kennedy And Josh Replogle Source: The Associated Press Zika outbreak in Miami prompts travel warning Sharelast_img read more