Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Matt Reese and Dale MinyoWhile the current situation for soybeans is less than ideal, there was plenty of talk concerning the bright future ahead at the this week’s 2018 Ohio Soybean Industry Dinner.“Today is not a good situation with disappointing prices and Mother Nature has given us a tough fall to work with in many places. Basis levels are low futures prices are low, but we have to keep the outlook that we continue to be in a growing global demand industry,” said Jim Sutter, CEO of the U.S. Soybean Export Council who spoke at the event. “Soy demand has outstripped growth for corn and wheat for 20 years and will continue to do so. We’ve got some exciting market opportunities around the world outside of China. We’re trying to work in basic markets where we can continue to grow for the long term future and we are working very hard on our “What it takes” initiative to get our U.S. market share up to almost 100% in these non-China markets around the world. It helps that Brazil is focusing on selling their soybeans to China so we have the opportunity to sell our soybeans other places. I know that is not helping with the prices in the very short run, but I think in some months we will see more demand rolling in and then we’ll start to see prices moving to a higher level.”The much-discussed meeting between President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping also offers some reason for hope.“Farmers also have to watch closely on Nov. 29 when there is a dinner between President Trump and President Xi. I hate to hang too much on one dinner of two people, but they happen to be two very important people,” Sutter said. “I think they are going to talk about a lot of things relative to trade. Soybeans are the No. 1 ag commodity relative to trade that will be discussed. So, watch carefully what the outcome of that is.”In addition, the Ohio Soybean Council and Ohio Soybean Association recognized retiring board member farmer leaders in their organizations including: Allen Armstrong (who finished his term as OSA president), Adam Graham (OSA board member), Todd Hesterman (OSA board member), Cindy Parker Haring (OSA board member), and John Motter (OSC board member). Motter also was recognized as the first farmer from Ohio to ever serve as the chairman of the United Soybean Board. Former Ohio Farm Bureau executive vice president Jack Fisher was recognized with the OSC Outstanding Achievement Award. Jim Sutter, CEO of the U.S. Soybean Export Council Former Ohio Farm Bureau executive vice president Jack Fisher was recognized with the OSC Outstanding Achievement Award. Allen Armstrong finished his term as OSA president. Todd Hesterman, retiring OSA board member Adam Graham, retiring OSA board member Allen Armstrong finished his term as OSA president. John Motter was recognized as the first farmer from Ohio to ever serve as the chairman of the United Soybean Board. Kirk Merritt, Executive Director of the Ohio Soybean Council John Motter (right) was recognized as the first farmer from Ohio to ever serve as the chairman of the United Soybean Board. Steve Reinhard, OSC Chairman
Related Posts Guide to Performing Bulk Email Verification As we reported last week, groups of hackers from all around the world got together this weekend to find ways to help Haiti and to create tools that can be used in future disasters. One of these groups, in collaboration with Project EPIC, developed a new syntax to make it easier for computers to read tweets from areas that are affected by a disaster. If adopted widely, this new hashtag-based syntax will make it easier to automatically extract data about locations or the status of a road or person.A vast number of status updates from Haiti were posted on Twitter in the last few days. As Chris Messina pointed out in a discussion on the Activity Streams mailing list earlier today, the lack of standardized metadata means that we currently have little choice but to use stopgap mechanisms like this new hashtag-based syntax to syndicate this kind of information into a computer-readable form.Main Tags#need [explain the needs using the appropriate keywords below]#offering or #offer or #have [explain what you have using appropriate keywords below]#imok [name] #ruok [name] #trapped [name]#injured [name]#open [write what is open, a road? a hospital? a store?]#closed [write what is closed? a road? a shelter?]How Does it WorkThe new syntax is pretty easy to learn. Every tweet should contain at least one main tag like #need [explain need], #offering or #injured [name]. You can find a full list of main tags here. In addition, tweets can also have data tags like #name [name], #loc [location] or #contact [email, phone etc.]. These tweets can also contain often-used keywords that don’t need the hashtag sign like food, supplies, road, hospital or help.ExamplesHere are some real-world examples of this new syntax being used in Haiti:#haiti #need security #loc General Hospital PAP #contact @thehatian#haiti #need water #loc Orphanage Foyer de Sion #contact @robinbauer #src @AnnCurryCan you deliver beans rice water to orphanage? #Haiti #Need Food #Contact: @childhopeintl #Loc: Delmas 75, Rue Cassagnol #14, PaP BLESS YOUWe aren’t aware of any tools that read these tweets yet, but it’s easy to imagine a Google Maps mashup that can show the locations of where people need help.If you would like to help the Project EPIC and Crisis Camp teams out, have a look at the groups’ website, which lists a number of ways to get involved in this project, ranging from translating tweets into the new hashtag format, to building applications that can collect the data from these tweets. The Dos and Don’ts of Brand Awareness Videos frederic lardinois A Comprehensive Guide to a Content Audit Tags:#news#twitter#web Facebook is Becoming Less Personal and More Pro…
A video purportedly showing former Madhya Pradesh BJP president and MP Nandkumar Singh Chauhan and his aides beating up employees of a toll booth on the Shivpuri- Guna road has gone viral on social media. No police complaint has been lodged in connection with the alleged incident, police said. Mr. Chauhan’s vehicle was stopped on Friday evening at the toll plaza located near Purankhedi village, where the employees asked him for his identity proof (to seek exemption for paying toll), Booth Manager Mahendra Singh Tomar told reporters. MPs and MLAs are exempted from paying toll on national highways. When asked to show his ID proof, Mr. Chauhan, the Lok Sabha MP from Khandwa in Madhya Pradesh, along with his aides, got into a verbal duel with the employees, Mr. Tomar said. The BJP leader and his aides came out of the vehicle and started abusing the booth’s security guard, Ajendra Singh, he said. Mr. Chauhan allegedly slapped Ajendra Singh and his aides assaulted another employee Shubhan Dixit, Mr. Tomar said. The manager said the MP’s aides also broke two walkie-talkie sets of the employees. No complaint has been lodged in connection with the incident, which was captured in the CCTV cameras of toll booth, SP Rajesh Hingankar said on Saturday.
The Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected a set of pleas by coal miners in Meghalaya to let trucks move coal in transit before a transportation ban came into effect.The deadline for transportation of extracted coal was being extended since April 2014 when the National Green Tribunal (NGT) had imposed a ban on the life-threatening rat-hole coal mining in Meghalaya. A narrow opening that makes miners crawl gives the rat-hole its name.But after at least 16 miners were trapped in a flooded mine at Ksan in Meghalaya’s East Jaintia Hills district on December 13, the apex court refused to allow the transportation of extracted and assessed coal beyond January 31. On January 15, the court further said there would be no transportation of coal lying at (dumping) sites.The State Co-ordination Committee of Coal Miners and Dealers’ Forum had subsequently filed a petition for allowing their trucks that were in transit as on January 15 to transport their coal and also to pass through government check posts and weighbridges to their respective destinations.Rejecting the plea on Monday, the court did not entertain the entreaty of another coal dealer named Babul Marak who wanted to transport coal he had procured legally from a dealer.The court of Justice duo D.Y. Chandrachud and Hemant Gupta also saw “no reason to entertain” a petition by one Lber Laloo for lifting the ban on coal mining by NGT “in view of a previous order” on January 28.The Supreme Court hearing coincided with Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma informing the 60-member State Assembly that more than 1,000 cases of illegal coal mining have been registered since the NGT ban came into effect.From 203 in 2014, the number of such cases jumped to 541 in 2015 and slumped to 117 in 2016. There were 274 and 163 registered cases in 2017 and 2018 respectively, the Chief Minister said.Death in coal truckMonday saw an overloaded coal truck capsize in Meghalaya’s East Jaintia Hills district, reportedly killing four people inside it. The mishap in the Sutnga area near the district headquarters Khliehriat, anti-coal mining activists said, exposed the laxity of the local authorities in dealing with illegal transportation of coal.According to district Superintendent of Police V. Singh, the driver of the truck had lost control because of high speed. But he said the local police not find bodies at the spot and did not specify what the truck was carrying.The Shillong Times quoted local people as saying that the district heads, including the Deputy Commissioner rushed to the spot after the mishap and did not allow them to take photographs. They also claimed they were warned against speaking about the accident to anyone.
About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Belgium goalkeeper coach Lemmens urges Real Madrid to rethink Courtois treatmentby Carlos Volcano22 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveBelgium goalkeeper coach Erwin Lemmens has urged Real Madrid to rethink their management of Thibaut Courtois.Courtois was substituted at half-time in Tuesday’s 2-2 Champions League draw against Club Brugge, with Madrid 2-0 down at the time.The 27-year-old was arguably at fault for Emmanuel Bonaventure Dennis’ ninth-minute opener and was again beaten by the Brugge striker later in the half.Comparing his compatriot’s woes at the Santiago Bernabeu to David de Gea’s form slump with Manchester United, Lemmens told Radio MARCA: “They have to treat him differently.”He’s a special boy and it’s unusual that he’s always at the highest level with Belgium, but there he suffers with De Gea syndrome.”If the Bernabeu whistles then you have to look at the team as a whole.”He’s a great goalkeeper and he’ll try to make Real Madrid happy again.”
MONTREAL — The Quebec government is crediting its new gun registry law for a major spike in the number of long guns voluntarily handed over to police for destruction.Between April 1, 2018 and March 31, 2019, 5,250 long-guns were voluntarily given to authorities to be destroyed, according to provincial police spokeswoman Joyce Kemp.The previous year, 2,406 long guns — such as rifles and shotguns — were surrendered. That’s an 118 per cent increase. The government estimated in 2015 there were 1.6 million long guns in Quebec.Canadian law classifies guns in three categories: prohibited guns, such as automatics, and restricted guns, such as handguns, must be registered with the RCMP. Long guns — rifles and shotguns that are mainly used for hunting and sport shooting — no longer need to be registered in Canada, except in Quebec.Jean-Francois Del Torchio, a spokesman for Public Security Minister Genevieve Guilbault, said Friday the jump is likely tied to the provincial gun registry bill, which was passed in 2016 by the previous Liberal government but that went into effect Jan. 29.Long-gun owners must register their weapons, either online or by mail. There is no charge, but those who fail to comply could face penalties up to $5,000.Del Torchio said people who owned rifles but stopped hunting likely handed them in instead of going through the registration process. Others, he added, may have been given a gun as a gift or through an inheritance and didn’t want to have to sign them up.“People who are passionate about hunting are going to continue to hunt and keep their weapons,” Del Torchio said in an interview.Kemp said police don’t record the motivations of people who hand in their guns, but she too acknowledged the long-gun registry law is likely behind the increase.But while more Quebecers are getting rid of their hunting weapons as compared to previous years, roughly a third of the long guns estimated to be in Quebec have been registered since the law went into effect.Louise Quintin, spokeswoman for Quebec’s Public Security Department, said in an email Friday that as of May 15, 516,270 long-guns had been registered since the law went into effect.Gun owners have called for boycotts of the law and many rural town councils across the province have adopted resolutions denouncing the registry or calling for it to be scraped entirely.Earlier in the week, the Quebec government tabled a bill that would remove certain obligations for gun owners required to register their weapons.The bill says gun owners no longer have to provide their weapon’s registration number upon request by a peace officer or submit the barrel length when registering a weapon. They would also no longer have to notify the registry if they have their firearm away from its usual storage location.Stephanie Vadnais, with the Quebec federation of hunters and fishermen, said her group will attend the legislative hearings into the bill to try for even more concessions.She said in an interview Friday the gun registry law is irritating and bureaucratic — but that’s not the main reason hunters and fishers are against it.Canada’s gun registry was a disaster, she said, and offered little concrete evidence it made anyone safer. The federal Liberals introduced the Canada-wide long-gun registry in 1995, saying it would cost roughly $110-million.The figure multiplied and ended up costing taxpayers many times that before the Conservatives abolished it in 2012. Guilbault has said the cost of the Quebec registry remains as forecast — about $20 million to implement and $5 million annually to administer — but Vadnais isn’t convinced.“We are selling a high-cost illusion of security,” she said.—Number of long-guns handed over voluntarily to police across Quebec, each year between April 1 and March 31:2015-16: 3,2752016-17: 3,1852017-18: 2,4062018-19: 5,250Source: Quebec provincial policeGiuseppe Valiante, The Canadian Press
American Sniper and Turn actor Owain Yeoman and Ready Player One actor Ralph Ineson are joining Katie Holmes and Christopher Convery in William Brent Bell’s horror thriller The Boy 2, from STXfilms and Lakeshore Entertainment.In the sequel to the 2016 film, a young family moves into Heelshire Mansion, unaware of the terrifying history of the estate. Soon, their young son makes an unsettling new friend, an eerily lifelike doll he calls Brahms. Yeoman will play Sean, the husband to Holmes’ Liza. Ineson has been cast in the role of Joseph. Convery co-stars as their son Jude. READ MORERELATED LINKS Login/Register With: Advertisement THE BOY 2 Casts Owain Yeoman and Ralph InesonChristopher Convery Will Join Katie Holmes In ‘The Boy 2’Owain Yeoman and Ralph Ineson Join Katie Holmes in The Boy 2‘The Witch’ Star Ralph Ineson Will Face Off With Brahms in ‘The Boy 2’‘The Boy 2’ Adds Christopher Convery To Cast After Strong AFM Twitter Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Facebook Advertisement
Some of the most active companies traded Thursday on the Toronto Stock Exchange:Toronto Stock Exchange (15,269.27, up 11.37 points)Neovasc Inc. (TSX:NVC). Medical devices. Unchanged at 6.5 cents on 10.8 million shares.Aurora Cannabis Inc. (TSX:ACB). Healthcare. Up 11 cents, or 1.39 per cent, to $8.04 on 6.6 million shares.Trinidad Drilling Ltd. (TSX:TDG). Oil and gas. Up 12 cents, or 6.52 per cent, to $1.96 on 6.2 million shares.Encana Corp. (TSX:ECA). Oil and gas. Down one cent, or 0.07 per cent, to $14.72 on 5.6 million shares.Cenovus Energy Inc. (TSX:CVE). Oil and gas. Down five cents, or 0.40 per cent, to $12.44 on 4.1 million shares.Shaw Communications Inc. (TSX:SJR.B). Telecommunications and media. Up $2.25, or 9.31 per cent, to $26.42 on 3.8 million shares. Strong operational performance by its main business units offset concerns about $417 million in restructuring-related costs booked in its second quarter. Shaw reported a $164-million loss, mostly because of a previously announced restructuring that will affect one-quarter of its workforce.Companies reporting major news:Second Cup Ltd. (TSX:SCU). Restaurants. Up 79 cents, or 28.73 per cent, to $3.54 on 1.4 million shares. The company wants to convert some of its coffee shops in western Canada into cannabis dispensaries and, when legal, pot lounges. It has signed an agreement with marijuana clinic operator National Access Cannabis to develop and operate a network of recreational pot stores. However, neither currently has a licence to sell marijuana, so the deal is contingent on approval from the government, as well as from franchisees and landlords.
Berlin: More than 70 years after the end of World World II, one of Germany’s richest familiy has admitted to its dark links with Adolf Hitler’s regime. Spokesman of the Reimann family, Peter Harf, told Bild am Sonntag of plans to give 10 million euros (USD 11.3 million) to charity after learning of their elders’ support for the Nazis and their company’s use of forced labour during the war. “Reimann senior and Reimann junior were guilty. The two entrepreneurs have both passed away, they belonged actually in prison,” said Harf. Albert Reimann senior died in 1954 and his son in 1984. The company they left behind, JAB Holding, is today a behemoth that owns household brands ranging from Clearasil to Calgon. With wealth estimated at 33 billion euros, the Reimann family is believed to be Germany’s second richest. Harf said the family began digging into their dark past in the 2000s, and in 2014 decided to commission a historian to produce a thorough study into their ancestors’ ties to Nazism. The family plans to make public a full account when the book by the historian, Paul Erker of Munich University, is finished, said Harf. Quoting letters and archival documents, Bild am Sonntag said Reimann senior was a willing donor to Hitler’s SS as early as 1931. His company was in 1941 deemed a “crucial” firm in the war, as it produced items for the Wehrmacht and the armaments industry. In 1943, the company was using as many as 175 forced labourers, and employed a foreman who was known for his cruel treatment of the workers. Harf, who confirmed the conclusions drawn by the Bild report, said there had been no known efforts to provide any compensation to the forced labourers. “But we have since talked about what we can do now,” he said. “We want to do more and donate ten million euros to a suitable organisation.” Many of Germany’s biggest companies have over the decades confronted their Third Reich history.